We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places other than Peru you've liked--want recommendations

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Places other than Peru you've liked--want recommendations

We spent 2 weeks in Peru in May visiting the rainforest far from Iquitos, Cusco, Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip--our first to South or Central America. What other locales in the Americas have you enjoyed and why? We are not looking for a beach or resort vacation. Thanks for the thoughts. I'd like to start thinking about some future trips.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places other than Peru you've liked--want recommendations

Julie, I'll be anxious to see the responses you get from this post. We also did this trip and are looking a doing future trips to South America. Currently I'm look at Argentina; doing Buenos Aires and the Iguaza Falls area. Ecuador looking interesting also.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places other than Peru you've liked--want recommendations

I was in Argentina and Uruguay for a month this past November. I enjoyed them both so much that I asked my SO for the South America Footprints guide book so I could research another country or two.

I decided on Peru and Bolivia for a two month trip, departing on Oct. 28th.

We chose to go to Uruguay because there wasn't a lot of info about it and it seemed we might have a very cool, untouristy experience. We typically don't travel to visit busy tourist destinations. We prefer to explore cultures and visit small villages.

Uruguay was a slice of heaven and I will go back some day. Punta del Diablo on the coast near the border of Brazil was amazing! Just a small fishing village with a few restaurants. It attracts travellers rather than tourists, if that makes any sense. We were sitting at a little empanada stand drinking a cold beer and eating a fish empanada when it dawned on me that it was Thanksgiving Day. Couldn't have dreamed of a better place than where we were.

The NW part of Argentina is also incredibly beautiful. Lots of small villages, indigenous people, inexpensive but very nice places to stay, good food, lots of photo ops. We ran into very few people from North America. Most were from The Netherlands or Germany. I recommend renting a car so you can explore the area.

Let us know what you decide!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
34 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places other than Peru you've liked--want recommendations

Not sure whether you're including Mexico in your considerations...but if you liked what you saw in Peru you might like Southern Mexico -- Oaxaca, Monte Alban, San Cristobal de las Casas, Palenque.

Sasolburg,South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places other than Peru you've liked--want recommendations

Last year I went to the Amazon in Brazil ,Iguazu Falls ,Perito Moreno Glacier and Los Glaciares National Park in Argentina and then stayed in Torres del Paine National Park in Chile for 4 days.

Hard to choose a higlight from the places mentioned above,but if you want to experience jungle wildlife without the humidity and insect bites ,then Iguazu is the place to visit .

Heinrich

Toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Places other than Peru you've liked--want recommendations

My husband and I had the most amazing Honeymoon travelling around Venezual 2 years ago!!

Went to Merida, Angle Falls, and Margarita Island (to relax after all the treking). Would reccomend Venezuela to anyone, it was amazing, the people were so friendly and it couldn't have gone more smoothly. If you are looking for more info feel free to contact me!!

new york
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Places other than Peru you've liked--want recommendations

ARGENTINA!

Iguazu, Glaciers, Patagonia, Salta, Bariloche, Mendoza,.....Then of course there's always Buenos Aires

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places other than Peru you've liked--want recommendations

I have visited so many nice places is S.America that it would take me many days to describe them in full. Here is just a list with no preferences :

Venezuela : Caracas, Los Roques, La Gran Sabana, Angel Falls, Tucacas

Colombia : Bogota, Cali, Cartagena

Ecuador : Quito, Guayaquil, Esmeralda, Galapagos

Peru : endless places....

Chile : Santiago, Valparaiso, Lagos del Sur

Argenina : Buenos Aires, Iguazu, Mendoza, Bariloche, Patagonia

Brasil : Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paolo, Salvador, Bahia, Aracaju

Bolivia : Have not visited

Paraguay : Asuncion

Uruguay : Montevideo, Punta del Este

Lots to see in South America.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Places other than Peru you've liked--want recommendations

I absolutely love Ecuador. There is so much to do and see, and the country is so small that you can see a lot of it in a few weeks! Quito is one of the few Latin American capitals that is really pleasant to be in...very colonial and with dramatic mountains. From Quito it's an easy half-day trip to the equator which is kitschy but fascinating! Cuenca is another beautiful colonial city, very graceful and old. But I think my favorite place in Ecuador is Banos. It is thronged with tourists (like Cusco), which is the downside, but there is a reason. It's incredible...just on the edge of the jungle, lush hills on all sides with skinny waterfalls tumbling down them, loads of tours into the jungle, easy biking and hiking nearby, and great restaurants.

Give Ecuador a try!

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places other than Peru you've liked--want recommendations

Thanks guys!!

Now I have a lot of new places to research. I know I'll be back with more questions soon.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places other than Peru you've liked--want recommendations

Panama - Bocas del Toro and the Sierra Llorona eco lodge. Bocas is a bit touristy but is small, quaint and fun. Sierra Llorona is birding eco hotel with great staff, walks in the rain forest and access to Caribean side of the country.

Cocabamaba, Bolivia - nice colonial town with access to lots of cool areas, like the Yungas. You would enjoy a trip to Incallata, the southernmost extension of the Inca empire

Oaxaca and Guanajuato Mexico.