We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more lan troubles

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
more lan troubles

Hi - I am at a loss as to how to book my ticket from lima to cusco without paying the 100% upcharge on the american version of lan.com. I have been trying to use my Citi mastercard and have tried inputting Puerto Rico as the country of issue for the credit card and passport, and also tried peru. Both leave me with a message that asked me to use a different form of payment bc there was a problem processing my card. I searched on here and couldnt find the answer and i am wondering if the format of the site has changed? I called my CC company and they have not even seen an attempt to charge my card so it's not on their end. Any advice for me? THANKS!!!!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: more lan troubles

Check recent posts on this topic. Some people have had success using www.Apunake.com to help them book their flights. Small upcharge (like $8).

Some people have also been successful with calling LAN & giving cc info over the phone.

I had no problems last year with this, using my actual country of issue & passport (US) on the Peru version. But, some are having problems recently -- also some posters have reported success.

St. George, Utah
Level Contributor
166 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: more lan troubles

I became very frustrated trying to book with a US credit card with LAN/pe for our tickets Lima/Cusco. We ended up using a web-travel agent (http://www.apunake.com/index-ing.htm) . It only came to an additional $16.72 service fee.(for 2 RT tickets) Skip the stress, check prices on the LAN/pe site, if you are unable to book on the first try, just book with one of the Peru Web based travel agents. Still saved much more than half over the LAN/usa site but these tickets are not changeable or refundable. Good Luck

Medicine Hat, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: more lan troubles

Hi, use the Peru version but if you dont know spanish then have another page open with the english site and use it as a guide. For our credit card details we inputted it as Canadian credit card and it worked fine. Just book on the Peru version but enter your payment details as you normally would and it should go through. LAN does not care if you do this and does not check for this when you check in at the airport either.

Cheers!

Europe
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: more lan troubles

I'm another one getting frustrated with booking on the Peru version of the LAN flight. I managed to book one flight fine and noticed that in the section where you choose what cc you are going to pay, and the country of issue, the currency British pounds came up the time it worked for me (I'm British and that's where my card is from).

However, I'm now trying to book another flight and the currency keeps staying at American dollars. I can't understand why it worked on one flight (after about three attempts), but I've tried about twenty times and it's not working anymore!

I'm not sure if there is any way of confusing the site or some sort of thing you have to do for it to go through. I read one post saying to keep trying (which is how it worked the first time), but it won't work. I also looked at that Apunake website and found that I can't insert my city To and From destinations! If anyone knows any other sites where you can book at PEruvian prices or any advice, feel free to post! thanks :)

Europe
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: more lan troubles

Ah, found that it was just on Firefox where the drop down boxes don't work on the Apunake website. When I accessed it via internet explorer it worked! Obviously I gave up on the LAN site!

St. George, Utah
Level Contributor
166 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: more lan troubles

Also here is a great site to put your mind as ease that you really do have tickets https://www.checkmytrip.com/ Just put the your airline confirmation number ( mine was 6 digits starting with an X ) along with your last name and up comes your reservation details!!!

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
960 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: more lan troubles

Thanks for the website. I booked through Apunake and although I have read posts on other sites that it is a legit company, I still got worried about the reservations. I used my verified by visa card and it came through on my statement I M Enjoy Corp. Although I have the US 800 number I havent had the time to call. This site put my mind at ease this AM.

United States
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: more lan troubles

I am having the same problem! It is not accepting my mastercard issued in the US. Has the site changed, or is there some trick about inputing your address/passport info in a certain way to get it to accept the info?

Also, to those who have called LAN and purchased over the phone -- are you calling the peruvian LAN phone number or the american one? Thanks!

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
960 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: more lan troubles

On another post someone stated they used a verified by visa card and it went through on the Lan site. A VBV card is actually your debit card. You have to verify it at verifiedbyvisa.com. I just gave up on the Lan site and booked our tickets at Apunake.com with my VBV card and it went through instantly. Overall the cost was about $18 more than the Lan site. I guess its just a hit or miss thing with the Lan website and/or calling them.

10. Re: more lan troubles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2008, 18:31