We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip advice

Chino, CA
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
trip advice

Hi all,

I am 37 year old female planning a trip with my kids, 15 year old girl and 11 year old boy, to see Brazil's Statue of Christ at Rio de Janeiro and to see the Machu Pichu in Peru around Aug of 2009. I am clueless as to whether I should find the hotels and airlines on my own?? Or to go with a travel agency?? I speak very little Spanish, but I am able to get by in Italy summer of 08. Any advice that you can give me will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
407 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip advice

There is much helpful information on this forum. Just look back at the posts. We went with a tour , but In retrospect we could have organised it ourselves. We loved peru, the people are lovely and it is beautiful and interesting. You have 9 month to learn tourist spanish. We did and the learning wasa fun!

Sasolburg,South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip advice

Hi there,for flights try to obtain an air pass.

I have used South America Journeys for both my trips to South America ,www.southamericajourneys.com

Accomodation you can do on your own.

Heinrich

Chino, CA
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: trip advice

Thanks for your input. I will definitely check into self planning trip. If you have any particular suggestions as to weather or anything that I should watch out for in Peru and in Brazil, please let me know also.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip advice

The MP expert readhead47 did all her trip planning via Internet.

If you ask questions on this forum, she will gladly help you.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip advice

Ask away.

I planned everything myself, booked over the internet, and we were quite happy with the results. Maybe a new career as a travel agent?

Chino, CA
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: trip advice

lol... if that is your talent...

my goal?? Aug 09, leaving out of LAX, going to either Brazil or Peru first, spending around 3-4 days there each, then come back to LAX. Any suggestions?? To book each trip one by one thru EXPEDIA or ORBITZ is WAY too much.... HELP!!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip advice

You have a tough one redhead, 7 to 8 days to visit both Peru and Brazil !

I want to see yr answer !

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip advice

Funny, I was writing my answer when I saw Xochitl's response....

I would limit the trip to either Peru or Brazil, not both if you only have a few days. 8 days in Peru would not be enough for me, by a long shot. We spent 15 days there, including 4 days hiking the Inca Trail (plus a few recovery days). Eight days is not nearly enough for all there is to see. We could have easily spent 30 days in Peru, or more.

With transportation from one point to another (Lima to Cusco to Machu Picchu & back in Peru, for instance) you will probably spend 4 days with not much time to see anything. And you're not taking into account the possibility of travel fatigue, altitude sickness, "turista," etc., which can all hamper your quick itinerary.

However, language will not be much of a problem for you in Peru. Most of those who come in contact with tourists speak English, with the exception of cab drivers. If you study the Fodor's Spanish for travelers CD & phrase book (available at Barnes & Noble) & learn key phrases, you should do fine. It's not Italian, but you will probably recognize some words.

So, think about your trip. My advice: visit one country or the other to get the most out of your travel. Or at least triple (or quadruple) your time there, if you do both countries.

Chino, CA
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: trip advice

I guess I should clarify that my goal for the trips are to take my kids to see the 8 wonders of the world. There are so many other countries that we want to visit, but I figure that these are the good starting points. I want to see if this is a possibility because we just want to see the MP and the statue in Brazil, which should limit our days spend there. Anything else that we do outside of the two attractions are just bonuses. Thank you.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,561 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip advice

I too, planned and booked our entire trip online. We spent nine nights in Peru and only saw Lima, Cuzco, the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. You could do this in a bit less time but not much.