We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostelworld.com reviews

San Diego...
Level Contributor
263 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hostelworld.com reviews

Hi,

Is hostelworld.com recommended well on this forum? We are 3 students traveling, so we are going on a "see Peru on a shoestring budget" trip.

I just want to make sure that my online transactions etc. would be safe with hostelworld and that there are no last minute screw ups with my bookings with them.

Has anyone made reservations using the Lonelyplanet system?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,677 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostelworld.com reviews

No idea.

Many backpackers hostels in Lima, specially in the Barranco and Miraflores area. Check http://www.kaminu.com/ingles/index.htm

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Barranco
Barranco
5,768 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Miraflores
Miraflores
13,041 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostelworld.com reviews

Hi there,

I was looking at hostelworld as well to make reservations for various hostels. A few things that i could share:

Many "hostel" were not listed in the smaller cities -i imagine they would have to pay to be on the site. On tripadvisor, you can find good quality hostels and B&B's that you might otherwise not find out about.

On a slgihtly separate note, if you make reservations with the site, i would confirm a couple of weeks before your departure date. A friend of mine made reservations in Costa Rica, and 2 hostels had no record of their reservation (i don't think they were asked to pay anything..) I guess this could happen on any site, so it's probably just a good idea in general.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostelworld.com reviews

I used Hostelworld.com to get ideas of what's available and to see reviews, but then researched the places more on my own. Then I would contact the places directly to make reservations. That seemed to work. The reviews on Hostelworld seem pretty legitimate, though.

NewJersey
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostelworld.com reviews

When are you going? Is that trip through GAP? I am going in May

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hostelworld.com reviews

Hostelworld is great #1 world wide...

www.hostel-bookers.com cheaper sometimes

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hostelworld.com reviews

I tend to use them for reviews only, would rather book direct if possible, less likelihood of pointing fingers when your prepaid reservation is "lost".

I like the reviews in hostelz.com also.

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hostelworld.com reviews

We used them to book our hotel in Aguas Calientes since Hostelworld could get us a cheaper rate for the hotel we wanted to stay at than Llama Path could. We told Llama Path the price and they told us to book with Hostelworld because they could not beat it.

I would just confirm your reservations with the hotel before you leave. We confirmed everything before we left and our trip was perfect.

Mentioned in this post
Aguas Calientes
Aguas Calientes
Machu Picchu, Peru
Llama Path
Llama Path
1,668 Reviews
Cusco, Peru
8. Re: Hostelworld.com reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 17:17