We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow fever and malaria vaccination

Illinois
Level Contributor
106 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Yellow fever and malaria vaccination

I will be traveling to Amazon rainforest in Sept. 2009. Is immunization required for yellow fever or malaria? Is it recommended?

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow fever and malaria vaccination

Recommended, not absolutely required. But I've heard you may have to show proof of immunization upon return to the U.S. from an endemic region, like the Amazon rainforest.

wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/peru.aspx

Malaria prevention is in the form of medication that must be started before your trip (time varies with the type of med) and continued for a while after your return. Yellow fever is a shot.

I'd rather have the shot & take the malaria meds than risk catching either of those diseases!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow fever and malaria vaccination

www.mdtravelhealth.com Peru good info from Travel MD

YF jab suggested not required for the jungle

Malaria medication suggested not required

No malaria vaccine(yet)

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,384 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow fever and malaria vaccination

Wrong info again from qwovadis.

The rule is that you HAVE to have a YF vaccine 10 days before, and the certificate, to be able to visit the Peruvian jungle cities ( Iquitos,Puerto Maldonado,Moyobamba,Tarapoto,etc)

Its the LAW.

Another thing is to be asked for the certificate or not, but the law is the law.

Tracy, CA
Level Contributor
142 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow fever and malaria vaccination

Some colleagues of mine were asked for their YF immunization cards when they arrived in Puerto Maldonado last October '08. I was there last month and there was no such checkpoint.

Either required or recommended, the immunizations or medications are for one's own safety. With all the mosquitos that descended on me when I was there, I was sure glad I had got mine done.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow fever and malaria vaccination

We ceratinly weren't asked for our YF certificates at all in Puerto maldonado although I think swine fever had taken over all the anxieties instead. Not worth the risk to not take malaria tablets..

6. Re: Yellow fever and malaria vaccination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2010, 06:17