We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chimu Adventures

england
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
Chimu Adventures

Has anyone booked with this company before?

Are they ok/safe to book with?

They are offering a 4 day tour to Matchu Pitchu (including a pre nights hotel) for £305. Which is what we want to do in Sept 2010.

Is the price reasonable? and should the trip to MP be ok by Sept (due to the disruption etc going on at the moment).

Regards

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,277 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chimu Adventures

MP will re-open by April 1st.

Have no reviews on the company you are mentioning.

Pricing depends largely on type of hotels you are being offered.

Prices for trains can be checked at the Peru Rail web page.

Entrance fee to MP is S/. 124 (US$ 42)

Bus from AC to MP is US$14

Edited: 18 February 2010, 11:42
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chimu Adventures

Chimu is an Australia based travel agent no local Peru expertise

They sub out all their stuff in Peru to others

Always best for me to cut out the middlemen go with a good local.

www.koudatours.com

www.pmexplorers.com

are 2 that get great reviews here.

Always pay with Credit Card never wire money.

Have fun,

england
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chimu Adventures

Thanks for your info

The company "chimuadventures.com is offering the cheapest tour i can find so far. This price includes the guides, porters, tents, meals, admission fees etc. It does not mention the place of the pre night stay so i will e-mail them and find out.

Although I have e-mailed already but so far - no reply. hmmm... hence why im asking if anyone has used them before.

Also im trying to draft up an itinery for our 22day trip to Peru - any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

- we are flying from the UK into lima (in Sept) then hoping to get a flight straight out to Cusco. Spending abt 3 days there (and doing some gentle acclimatizing, and some site seeing) before starting our MP 4 day tour. Will we need another extra night in cusco after this trek (as im sure I will be exhausted and have sore feet by this time) ha

So after that, from Cusco head towards Lake T (maybe spend 1 or 2 nights there),

From L.T. head towards Purto Mald to spend 4 nights in one of the lodges in the Amazon (not sure which one, so help and advice required please).

From Purto Mald we would like a nice hotel (with a nice beach) for approx 3/4 nights, to end our trip before heading back to Lima for our flight home to the UK. (also how do we get from PM to where ever the hotel is, would this be another flight back to cusco or lima)

also we want to maybe do the sandboarding or buggy dunes and would love to try whitewater rafting. where can I fit this in to my itinery.

Does this sound ok - what do you think - advise and help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chimu Adventures

If your 4-day to Machu Picchu is including tents & porters, then you must be talking about the Inca Trail trek.

If you are not talking about the trek, then it's pretty expensive.

Chimi Adventures is not a registered trek operator, so they will undoubtedly be sub-contracting this tour to another company. If you don't know what company, you have no way of knowing the quality of what you are getting.

Read this before booking: cuscoguides.com/ingles/choosing--a-trek-agen…

We trekked with Llama Path, and thought they were great. Current cost for Nov 2010 is $495 (@317GBP). Includes everything except pre-departure stay in Cusco -- which you can get for about $30 or less. Also includes transportation from & back to Cusco and excellent guides, equipment & meals, all fees & permits, etc.

Blackheath...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chimu Adventures

I did a trip with Chimu a year or so ago, it was fantastic. In fact, we had very good equipment, and was better than most other trekking companies I saw up there. I have heard horror stories of local companies that took people's payments with little financial protection!.. or recourse to compensation if things go wrong.

Happy Travels!

Rich

england
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chimu Adventures

- yes it was the 4 day Inca trek we are looking at doing. I will cjeck out your links - thanks for your help

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chimu Adventures

Rich - did you ever find out what company was actually operating your tour when you were doing the Inca trail? Many of them have their company names stamped on their tents - especially ones that have great equipment as you have mentioned. Chimu does not operate the inca trail.

to the OP - cheapest is NOT best. if you are going through Chimu and they are taking a cut , then how much actually arrives to the local company?

england
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chimu Adventures

I know - after reading up about it (the link from redhead47) im going to book with LLamapath.

So thanks for the advise with that one

cheers once again. This is why I love "trip adviser"

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chimu Adventures

You will have a great time.

Buen viaje.

UK
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Chimu Adventures

Hi, I went on the Inca Trail, then to the Amazon and then on to Mancora last year all organised through Chimu Adventures. They asked me to write a review for them on this website so I’m doing it now and I feel that they deserve it. I went with my girlfriend (we were both 19) so although we probably could have found it cheaper elsewhere, we felt in a place like Peru we didn’t want to take any chances, so we went with Chimu and pretty much everything was sorted for us including travel and no accommodation worries. The Inca trail was my favourite bit but my girlfriend preferred the Amazon, I think if we would have had the headache of organising everything the trip wouldn’t have been so enjoyable. I would definitely use them again in the future (would one day like to go to Argentina and Brazil) and strongly recommend them.

William, UK