We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking LAN flight on Expedia

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
80 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Booking LAN flight on Expedia

Hello,

I'm trying to find a flight from the northeast (Boston or NY) to La Paz in June. Expedia has the best fare (approx. $830), on LAN, with a connection in Lima. I've read a lot about base fares, base plus, etc. When I book on Expedia, should I assume that it's the appropriate fare (in other words, not the base fare)? Or is my Expedia fare not guaranteed and I could still be hit with the $170 fee?

Thanks.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking LAN flight on Expedia

The fares you will be purchasing on EXPEDIA will definateyl not be BASE fares.

Are you planning to fly into La Paz and then visit Peru from Bolivia? If so you may want to consider flying into Peru and then visiting Bolivia as it may be cheaper to do it this way!

I did a random search for flights in in June on EXPEDIA and found you can fly from Boston to Cusco for $640 and JFK to Cusco for $560.

It would take a bit of planning and would depend on what days you plan to travel but once in Cusco you could fly AEROSUR www.aerosur.com from Cusco to La Paz (Return) for about $160. The flight is only an hour long but be aware when you are planning that this flight only operates three days per week on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday.

You could also fly one-way into La Paz from Cusco and then bus back from La PAz to Puno visiting Copacabana / Islas Del Sol in Bolivia enroute and then take the www.inkaexpress.com bus from Puno to Cusco.

I hope you are aware of the VISA requirements for Bolivia and you will be required to have had a Yellow Fever vacination and be able to provide the documents (translated into Spanish) to prove it!

…usembassy.gov/btouristvisarequirements.html

…usembassy.gov/yellow_fever_card_requirement…

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
80 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking LAN flight on Expedia

Thank you so much for the information. I'll look into Cusco options, in terms of price. We're not visiting Peru right now because we're meeting someone in Bolivia and traveling there with her.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking LAN flight on Expedia

www.spiritair.com

BOS FLL LIM then cheap flight to Cusco bus La Paz

save enough to live shoestring in Bolivia for a month.

do not forget your Visa and YF jab...

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking LAN flight on Expedia

might also price

www.kayak.com/buzz

www.taca.com

www.despegar.com

www.traficoperu.com

usually lots cheaper than tourist rip off LAN

5. Re: Booking LAN flight on Expedia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2010, 06:19