We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olly>Pisac>Cusco:how?where to leave bag for day in Pisac?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
384 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Olly>Pisac>Cusco:how?where to leave bag for day in Pisac?

Checking out of my hostel in Olly on a Sunday and want to hit the Pisac Sunday market and visit the ruins above. Any tips on how to do this independently? Don't want to have to pay a driver (though if it's the best way and not too expensive: how much?) to wait while I spend hours doing these.

Another issue would be my luggage. Will have only a small roll aboard bag that I would need to store while exploring. Any ideas where I might be able to do this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks in advance.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olly>Pisac>Cusco:how?where to leave bag for day in Pisac?

I can only answer your side question. Last fall, I hired both a guide and a driver from Cusco to Ollantaytambo, visiting the sites near Cusco and the Pisaqs ruins and market for 100 $. It was a whole day thing, and we had amazing service.

On other parts of the trip, we did outings out of Ollantaytambo. Then, without a guide, just a taxi driver, it was about 20 USD for 1/2 day. He brought us where we wanted, waited, and brought us back.

Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Olly>Pisac>Cusco:how?where to leave bag for day in Pisac?

We did this trip from Ollantaytambo via Pisaq to Cusco just over week ago (on a Thursday not a Sunday though)

Catch a combi to Urubamaba from in front of the market near the main square in Ollantaytambo. It costs S/.1.2 pp and the ride is a little cramped but not uncomfortable and only lasts about 20 minutes. We had a large day pack which I could put next to me without any problems.

When you arrive at the terminal at Urubamba, head into the area where they sell snacks etc. and then just out the opposite side there will be buses heading to Cusco, Pisaq, Chinchero etc.

There will be someone calling out the name of the destination and if you say yes, they will show you to their bus. These buses are bigger than a minibus, but a little smaller than a tourist coach and will cost you S/.2pp to Pisaq (best to have correct change or at least to within a few soles). Plenty of space on these, there is an overhead rack for luggage if the bus gets full.

Note that this bus does not take you right into Pisaq town. Near the stop there is a pedestrian bridge - you dont need to cross it on your way in as you will be on the same side as the town. At the moment they are doing works on the car bridge (which is about 1km further down, closer to the town centre). If you do want to walk you can catch a Moto-taxi (tuktuk) into town for 50 centimos.

Next to that bridge being worked on is another bridge - You can cross the river using that bridge as a pedestrian when you need to go to the other side to catch the bus back to Cusco later. (On the other side near the bridge is a big statue. You can catch the bus from there, but it actually starts further down the road and you may have to walk down a bit as the bus was already full before it got to that corner - we were lucky enough to get picked up along the road. Same kind of bus as that from Pisaq, with someone spruking the destination to you as they pass.

Near the main bridge, you will see a main road, this is the road that leads up to the ruins and it is where all the taxis leave from. A taxi will cost you about S/. 10 -15, but if you share with others this cost can be shared also. At the moment due to some blockage / damage due to the rains they can only take you up to the top entry of the ruins (13km ride as opposed to the bottom road entrance which is only 10km).

They will stop you at a control point to check your boleto touristico on the way up, so have your ticket ready to jump out the taxi, show it to the guy and then get back in again.

If you look across the aforementioned main road you will see a narrowish street, follow this up past supermarkets, restaurants and shops and it will take you to the main square and to the market.

The market was really big, and has a combination of indoor and out door stalls and shops which pretty much anything you are looking for (and heaps of stuff you aren't)

Restaurants on the square are really pricey, but if you stroll of the main square for a block in any direction they are much more reasonable.

3. Re: Olly>Pisac>Cusco:how?where to leave bag for day in Pisac?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 06:23