We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel between destinatinons in Peru

new jersey
Level Contributor
87 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Travel between destinatinons in Peru

I will be traveling to Peru the middle of June for the first time on a 2 week trip. I will be arriving on an overnight flight to Lima and would like to fly directly to Cusco. I anticipate resting in Cusco for 2 nights and then heading to the Sacred Valley/Machu Picchu for 2 nights. I will take a train to Machu Picchu and will not hike the Inca Trail. From there, my itinerary is not complete and I need your help.

3 nights in the Puno/Lake Titicaca area;

2 nights in Arepiqua/Colca Canyon;

2 nights in Nazca;

return to Lima for 2 nights

My question is whether this itinerary is too ambitious because of the traveling distances via bus. If so, are there direct flights that can be taken between the locations?

thank you!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel between destinatinons in Peru

For 2 weeks to adjust to altitude save money and see it all

follow the Gringo Trail by deluxe bus www.cruzdelsur.com.pe

…worldnomads.com/destination/…23.aspx

Good guide like LP Peru guide would help you a lot...

Going direct to Cusco 11000 ft right away and staying there

might make you sick from the altitude..

If you fly to CUZ from LIM go right away to www.ollantatambo.org

then MP lower come back up to Cusco after you adjust...

Have fun,

new jersey
Level Contributor
87 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel between destinatinons in Peru

Thank you. I will arrive on an overnight flight to Lima and will then fly to Cusco. So are you saying to leave Cusco and maybe stay in the Sacred Valley for a few nights, take a train to Machu Picchu for a day trip, and then return to Cusco? If I do this, is there a direct flight from Cusco to Puno, the next stop on my destination or should I just take a bus?

Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel between destinatinons in Peru

I think your itinerary sounds good! I wouldn't change it! Taca.com is a good airline and will fly you to Arequipa, Cusco, etc. I really don't think you need to spend more than 2 days to acclimatize yourself in Cusco. Some people don't get altitude sickness. My Grandma only got a headache the first day and I was fine. The next day we were in Machu Picchu no problem. I think its a great idea that you are staying in Machu Picchu 2 nights.

Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel between destinatinons in Peru

Travel times: Estimation only. Google map always makes it an hour or 2 longer: Lima to Nasca 4hours, Lima to Arequipa 11 hours, Lima to Cusco 11 hours, Lima to Titicaca 12 hours, Lima to Iquitos by plane only. Id recommend you fly to Cusco, Arequipa, and Iquitos.

Edited: 15 May 2010, 00:32
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel between destinatinons in Peru

It would help to know the date and time you arrive in Lima and the date and time you fly home from Lima in order to suggest an itinerary but based on the info provided if you plan to head straight for Cusco then you will most likely want to fly there to save time.

The following airlines fly between Lima and Cusco...

LAN www.lan.com is going to be the most expensive but also has the most departures to choose from. You can book the less expensive BASE PLUS fares on the LAN Peru (Spanish) website or visit www.traficoperu.com and they can help you book as well. Just be sure not to book the BASE fares as these are for residents of Peru only and you WILL be charged an additional $178.50 per ticket when you board the plane!

TACA www.taca.com usually has really good deals on flights to Cusco but they only have a couple of departures.

STARPERU www.starperu.com is also much cheaper than LAN but again only has a couple of departures. STARPERU also has super good deals on flights between Lima and Trujillo if you are interested in visiting Chan Chan or Huanchaco.

PERUVIAN AIRLINES www.peruvianairlines.pe is a new airline to Peru and usually has super good deals on flights to Arequipa. They are suppose to be adding Cusco to their route so you may want to check them out and see what they have to offer.

You might want to consider going directly from Cusco to Ollantaytambo or Urubamaba and stay in the Sacred Valley which is at a lower altitude than Cusco so you will acclimatize better. You can catch the train to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu) from Ollantaytambo (Ollanta)...the are far more departures to choose from but you should book ASAP if you already havnt done so as spots fill up quick. www.perurail.com and www.incarail.com operate trains to Machu Picchu.

You have a few options to get to Puno from Cusco.

PLANE: www.lan.com is the only airline which flies to Juliaca. Juliaca is about an hour from Puno by taxi. There is usually a flight in the morning and one later in the afternoon but regardless of which flight you take you will not get to Lake Titicaca in time to visit any of the main Islands. The best you could hope to do on that day is a quick visit to the Uros Islands and maybe the Sullistani Towers.

TRAIN: www.perurail.com operates a train between Cusco and Puno but it is super expensive.

BUS: www.inkaexpress.com is a tourist bus which follows the same route as the train except it stops to visit important sites along the way and its much cheaper than the train.

LAN www.lan.com has flights from Juliaca to Arequipa but I think a better option is to take 4M EXPRESS www.4mexpress.com from Puno directly to Chivay (Colca Canyon) and then either join up with a 2 day tour which would take you back to Arequipa or visit the Canyon on your own using local transportation (bus and/or taxis) and take a local bus back to Arequipa.

Arequipa and Colca Canyon are not close to each other. Generally you should allow at least 1 day to see the tourist highlights of Arequipa and at least 2 days for Colca Canyon.

Nazca is about half way between Lima and Arequipa and buses are your only option....9 hours by bus from Arequipa and about 7 hours by bus from Lima. Check out www.cruzdelsur.com.pe for bus schedules.

You will not need 2 nights in Nazca as there is not that much to see and do there. The Nazca Lines overflights take place between 7 AM and 4 PM depending on weather and visibility once you done that I would move on. A better option would be to stay in Ica or Huacachina which is about 2.5 hours from Nazca. Ica is famous for its wineries and Haacachina is an oasis town in the desert where you can go sandboarding or dunebuggying.

Another option is Pisco/Paracas which is about 3.5 hours from Nazca. You can visit the Islas Ballestas and view all the wildlife...boat tours usually depart between 8 AM and 10 AM from docks in PIsco and Paracas.

If you need to get from Arequipa to Lima in a hurry then LAN www.lan.com and PERUVIAN AIRLINES www.peruvianairlines.pe both have flights. PERUVIAN AIRLINES has some super good deals!

If you are not set on heading to Cusco straight away then you may want to consider doing your trip in reverse which is generally called the "Gringo Trail". Take a bus www.cruzdelsur.com.pe from Lima to Nazca and then onto Arequipa. Visit Arequipa and then into Colca Canyon on a tour. 4M EXPRESS www.4mexpress.com from Chivay to Puno and visit Lake Titicaca. PLANE www.lan.com , TRAIN www.perurail.com , or BUS www.inkaexpress.com to Cusco, The Sacred Valley, and Machu Picchu. And finally fly back to Lima from Cusco.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel between destinatinons in Peru

"Travel times: Estimation only. Google map always makes it an hour or 2 longer: Lima to Nasca 4hours, Lima to Arequipa 11 hours, Lima to Cusco 11 hours, Lima to Titicaca 12 hours, Lima to Iquitos by plane only. Id recommend you fly to Cusco, Arequipa, and Iquitos."

Wherever FrequentTraveller261 is getting there info it is incorrect!

Lima to Nazca is closer to 7 hours by bus!

Lima to Arequipa is more like 15-16 hours by bus or a 1 hour flight!

Lima to Cusco is more like 20 hours by bus or a 1 hour flight!

Lima to Lake Titicaca is definately not 12 hours...more like 22 hours by bus or a 1.5 hour flight.

7. Re: Travel between destinatinons in Peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2010, 07:16