We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pay up front? what is acceptable?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Topic
pay up front? what is acceptable?

Hello!

I am going to Peru the first of March and am really looking forward to this trip.

I have been working with a someone in Lima who is the friend of a neighbor here in the US. I have sent some money up front for domestic flights, and he has arranged this it seems and sent the confirmation and itinerary via email.

my question is he says he needs the rest up front to pay for hotels etc. and this is how it is done in Peru...how normal is this? pay ALL up front %50 or %60 any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pay up front? what is acceptable?

How well do you trust this person? Kind of a distant connection, IMO.

Why not check with the hotels yourself? Find out what hotels this person is planning to book. For some hotels, I had to pay in full up front. For others, I only had to make an e-mail reservation -- not credit card number on file or prepayment. For another, I had to give the credit card number to hold the reservation, just as I am used to doing in the U.S. Interestingly, it is often the higher-end, luxury hotels that require full payment, with limited or no cancellations allowed. It will also be better to check & be sure of each hotel's cancellation policy, just in case something happens to derail your trip. Also, if at all possible, I would want to prepay (where required) by credit card.

You can often do all the booking & arrangements yourself, bottom line.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 00:57
NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
741 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pay up front? what is acceptable?

Ditto above. How much do you trust this person. Yes, for a guide, we had to wire a down payment. However, we booked all our hotels ourselves (easy to do on internet) and most just went on email confirmation.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pay up front? what is acceptable?

Im not sure why you are doing it the way you are?

I booked flights, hotels/hostals, tours, train tickets, etc all over the internet myself and paid for everything with my credit card.

Ireland
Level Contributor
732 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pay up front? what is acceptable?

Just wanted to everyone above, do it yourself. I have booked a total of seven hotels for our upcoming trip to Peru. Only one hotel (El Albergue in Ollanta) requested a 30% deposit payable via PayPal, all bookings required a credit card guarantee, some of these are cancelable without penalty, some not. It really depends on the hotel but I'd say it is fair and not at all unusual for any hotel to ask for some kind of guarantee.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pay up front? what is acceptable?

No reason to do it this way. Book via internet using credit card if necessary.

There is a way to use Paypal with the protection of a credit card guarantee if you have a zero blance in your PP account. I did this for my Amazon lodge booking.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 21:57
6. Re: pay up front? what is acceptable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2012, 06:18