We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveller Not Tourist Volunteer Work

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Traveller Not Tourist Volunteer Work

Hello fellow travellers!

I have been looking at doing some voluntary work either in Spain or South America and I have found an organization in Peru ( Arequipa) called "Traveller not Tourist" . You can be a volunteer just for a day or up to how long you wish to stay and you can either get involved in some projects (e.g. teaching English) or just help at the actual orphanage i.e. cleaning, cooking, helping the children with their homework etc). The cost for volunteering is minimal.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had some experience volunteering there or is familiar with the work of this group.

Thank you kindly. Sabrina :)

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveller Not Tourist Volunteer Work

hello,

all i can say is this:that in cambodia there are a lot of orphanages,and they are all saying that casual volunteers have a negative impact on teaching the children,and when they leave the children get sad and cry.

-it is after all a serious job,that shouldn't be taken casually-ever.

-everyone that volunteers,should do it only long term,be police checked and trained ,for the benefit of the childrens safety,etc.

-allowing casual volunteers to work,can increase the possibilities of negative issues like child abuse from paedophiles occuring,etc.

-deffinately not something to be taken lightly.this is no job for those looking for their selfish "warm,fuzzy moments"-think of the childrens welfare-not your own.

Hereford, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveller Not Tourist Volunteer Work

i volunteered with travelller not tourist for 3 months from aug 2010 and had a great experience i am returning there later this year hopefully for upto 6 months. arequipa is a great city and the volunteer house is a lot fun too. the volunteer placements really do make a difference to the children by givng them english language skills or helping them to have a posisitive experience while in the orphange. you can arrive at dates to suit you and are not having to make a long term commitment if you do not want to or unable to to. all of the fee is used to run the office which is staffed by pervians in arequipa and not a uk/usa company cashing in on the good nature of volunteers. everyone i met while ther and all the people i havd contacted on faacebook before and afer have had nothing but good things to say about it and all enjoyed their time there. i am sure you would have a great time there and wish you had stayed longer.

in response to the above i would like to say the volunteers spending less than a month go to the school and the ones placed in the orphange spend from one month to 6 months usually. it is run by full time live in peruvian volunteers who have given up their lives to care for the children. before being allowed to work in the orphange the director of the orphange meets everyone to acess suitability. the volunteers are supervised by the peruvians and a lot of the work involves supprting the running of the house and doing the cleaning giving the ful time carers more time to spend with the children and a well earned break, usually a long lunch. without the suport of the volunteers the orphange would not operate as they recieve donations from volunteers who choose to give money, no donation is included in the small admin fee of $100 which allows people to volunteer without spending loads of money and if they want can donate as much or as little as they want. we are fundraising now to build a new orphaange as the building has been onloan since it opened and will not be available for much longer. the babies are often given up soon after bith and are placed there until adoption can take place at approx 1 year old. whcih means the orphange often has 6 or more babies under a year which need round the clock care and attention as you can imagine feeding the babies requires several people so this is where the volunteers are needed to help with the childcare. the older children attend school in the mornings and do homework in the afternoon the better spanish speaker are able to assist them with this, those not so good at spanish can play games and supervise the children. the older children are placed here when the have difficult or abusive family situatons. they do not see the volunteers as substitute 'parents' so although attachments are formed the closest people to them are the live in volunteers who live there permanently. they are always pleased to see new volunteers and as there is a quick turn around of children due to adoptions and being returned to their familys where possible or another realative they do not spend much more than a year or 2 at the orphange. there is also peruvian professionals involved in ensureing the well being of the children especially those who have been abused. i have worked as a qualified nursery nurse for 10 years and found that the children were well cared for, very loved by the 'tias' and the volunteers.if there was any suspicion of any negative effect of a particular volunteer they would be removed straight away. many of the volunteers do hold teaching, medical or child care qualifications so will have been police checked in their own coutries. due to the layout and the organisation of the orphange i dont believe there would be an oportuntiy for abuse to take place, and if there was there would be the be exactly the same risk as if a police checked uncaught member of staff was volunteering.

i would be more than happy to anwer any questions about traveller not tourist, find me on facebook nicola pembridge

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveller Not Tourist Volunteer Work

Thank you very much for your input. I will keep everything you said in mind. Cheers, Sabrina

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,677 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveller Not Tourist Volunteer Work

Great answer Nicola.

Its always nice to hear about people with positive instead of negative attitudes towards other human beings.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
785 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveller Not Tourist Volunteer Work

I think Christian was just thinking of different human beings. I must say when I read the OP's possibility of one day volunteering in an orphanage, the same response popped into my mind. He didn't say, dont do it, he just said, beware of how you do it.

6. Re: Traveller Not Tourist Volunteer Work

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2011, 12:02
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveller Not Tourist Volunteer Work

Hello jimm,

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!- Charity work is just another business, and not only are volunteers being overcharged, but they are also unsuitable for the job!!!- It's a serious job that needs serious people. People that want to work in Peru should perhaps look elsewhere. If Peru cares about it's people, it should look after it's own people, and NOT use outside volunteers. I can only assume that this is just to get some money from them. What a CON!

Edited: 09 June 2011, 07:41
Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Hereford, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveller Not Tourist Volunteer Work

i agree there are many organisations making money out of people wanting to do charity work. however the people who set up traveller not tourist (jay and luis) chose to set it up in order to help out at a lcoal school, there was then a need to provide a school on a piece of land in order for the local community to establish themseleves. this is now the school where volunteers go. having built the school over 4 years. they were then asked to provide volunteers to an orpahnege as they were stuggling to manage with just peruvians.the advantage of western volunteers is they are able to give up a month or more of their time in one block to provide support. the local volunteers (who dont live in) have jobs and familes to care for. Luis is peruivan and understands the needs of the peruvians. jay is english and spends her time looking after her own son and working on ways to raise money for the orpanage they are both located in the uk and luis has a full time job and spends his free time helping to run the organisation. the person who runs the orpanage is peruvian along with the tias (aunties - full time live in volunteers) who are also peruvian. check out the website traveller not tourist and you will see that they do not offer one day volunteering in an orphanage. only on building work is this option available. i am qualified to work with any child in the world as i hold an internationally recognised childcare qualification. if i didnt totally support the projects then i would not have given up a days paid work to drive 120 mile round trip, spend 8 hours trying to raise money to build the new orpanage, that the children are relying on us to find money for. i work 7 days a week and try to help as much as i can from the uk. by providing free english lessons in the afternoons when the children have been to their normal peruvian school hopefully these children will be able to get jobs using their english and improve their own situations and work their way out of poverty. the children attend from choice and show a desire to learn, i dont believe that learning can be a bad thing! the organisation is run in peru by a peruvian teacher. i shall be returning to peru later this year at my own expense as ihave been there and know it is not a con. i also look forward to returning next year to see the new orpanage and knowing that by working with the peruvians and many volunteers from around the world we were able to build it and continue to provide support to the wonderful pervian tias who care for the children full time all year round. maybe christian you should consider going to peru and asking the children how they feel. i'm sorry you have obvioulsly had a bad experience in cambodia, maybe you'd like to have a positive affect on some peruvian children (warm fuzzy feeling included free of charge at no cost to the children's health or well being)

Hereford, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveller Not Tourist Volunteer Work

having read a few of christians posts i can see he is a fan of lonely planet travel guides. i'd like to say if you get out lonely planets south america on a shoestring latest addition. you will find that the only volunteer organisation in peru they recommned is traveller not tourist.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveller Not Tourist Volunteer Work

there's that one answered then!