We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less is more?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Less is more?

I'll be in Peru for 10 full days (not counting the first day we arrive in Cuzco at 10am) in July...

I first thought I'd do just a night or 2 in sv, a night in mp, a night in cusco and then fly somewhere or take a bus for a few days before heading to Lima...

Does anyone suggest just staying near cusco for an entire week and taking day tours or some overnight trips from there with no flying or major travel?... Puno seems to be out and I'd rather return for another separate trip to just do the amazon.... I don't like the idea of spending too much time getting places..

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cusco
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Less is more?

you could do the following:

day 1: city tour of cusco and nearby ruins

day 2: sacred valley - Pisac, Moray Maras/Salineras, Ollantaytambo

day 3: Lares trek

day 4: Lares Trek

day 5: Lares Trek

day 6: lares Trek - Machu Picchu

day 7: Cusco - Andayallias, Tipon

day 8: Cusco shopping

Day 9: Lima

Day 10: Lima

If you do not want to do Lares trek then fly to Arequipa and do Colca Canyon and enjoy Arequipa.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Less is more?

If you aren't into trekking read up on the Sacred Valley there are several days worth of sights in both the SV and Cusco. Lima is a worth a few days. I also found a 3-day 2-night side trip to Trujillo and Chiclayo worthwhile.

Get a good guidebook or visit www.andeantravelweb.com for more info.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Less is more?

you could do the overnite bus trip to Arequipa n do Colca Canyon. Total about 3 days.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,285 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Less is more?

You can find plenty to do in the Cusco and Sacred Valley area, which are only an hour away.

Upon arrival to Cusco city go straight to the SV (check this forum for recommended hotels) Stay for around 3 days and 2 days in MP.

Then go to Cusco City and visit Tipon,Andahuaylillas,Sacsayhuaman and the many other sites.

You will be delighted by spending your days visiting places at leisure, instead of rushing all over the place.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Less is more?

I agree, I spend 8 days in Cusco , 2 days in SV , half day in AC and almost one day at MP. I had very relaxing holiday and I have many happy memories of my time there.

6. Re: Less is more?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 20:21