We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel documents for children entering Peru

London, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
travel documents for children entering Peru

Hello!

I am a single parent traveller, and will be travelling in peru with my 10 year old daughter for 3 weeks next month.

Has anyone has any experience with this? And whether I require or will be asked to produce a notarized letter from my daughter's other parent? I have travelled the world with her (China, Hong Kong, Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Greece, chile, Easter Island, Cuba, Jamaica, USA) and not been asked for one. I do travel with a notarized copy of my custody agreement which shows that i have full custody.

I am hoping that this will be suffucuent as I do not have access to a notarized letter from the other parent.

I am just wondering if any other single parent travellers have actually been asked for a notarized letter or if the notarized custody document will suffice. I don;t want to assume!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
780 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel documents for children entering Peru

I have traveled alone with one of my kids, or a couple of my kids, many times and as long as they have their passports, no one has ever asked me for anything else. My husband and I are together....but how would the passport people know that? Is this really something that they get involved in? Have they asked you to show your info entering a country before?

This is news to me.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel documents for children entering Peru

I have always as a singel parent traveller had to show both of our passports and custody documents as my daughter has kept her birth last name, and I have gone back to my maiden name. However, those have sufficed for every country I have taken my daughter...for some reason some people have said i should try and get a different notarized letter from her father for Peru which is not possible.

So you have travelled alone to Peru with one of your children and not had to provide a notarized letter from your husband?? Do you share the same last name as your child..I wonder if that is the difference..you all have the same last names...my daughter and I do not.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel documents for children entering Peru

How was your trip? I'm thinking of traveling to Peru and Argentina with my 10 year old daughter? Any tips?

Thanks

Edited: 15 August 2011, 14:02
Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
London, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel documents for children entering Peru

Hi there...we just got home on Aug 2nd, and had a GREAT time!!

I had absolutely no problems entering Peru with my daughter (we both have different last names) - no one asked for any custody,divorce, proof of parentage at all entering Peru in Lima.

The only time that anyone even batted an eye was when we went to fly from Arequipa to Juliaca (Puno) - we had already been in the coutry for over a week, and they questioned me for an internal/domestic flight only when I checked our backpack at the counter, and was receiving our boarding passes. The Star Peru agent advised me to have all of my legal proof ready for when we went through security. As it turned out, no one there gave one look at us, nor did they have any further questions or concerns when I produced our passports.

So I suppose it is good to be prepared as always, but I had absolutely no problems travelling with my daughter in Peru.

We both had a great time, and especially loved the Amazon. One top: If you head to Puno/Lake Titicaca, please take precautions for your child with the crazy altitude. My daughter who is as fit as a fiddle was terrible headachy and stomach sick for a full 24 hours there. And I had been putting liquid oxygen in pur water, etc. I think the altitude is very hard on kids!

I was terribly headachy, but not stomach sick. Just be aware of that, and see your child's pediatrician before you go in case they can suggest something. My daughter's doctor did not recommend or condone her taking Diamoxx.

let me know if I can help with any of your planning. We used all public transportation and lovely, clean hostels. I am just in the process of reviewing and having reviews approved by T.A. now.

We went Lima > Paracas (Cruz del Sur bus) > Nazca (same bus) > Arequipa (same bus) > Puno (Star peru flight 45 minutes vs. same price for Cruz Del Sur bus which would have taken 7-8 hours) > tourist bus to Cusco > Ollantaytambo/Sacred Valley (shared taxi from Cusco) > Train to Machu Picchu > Cusco (public bus - very cheap and easy) > Flight Puerto Maldonado/Amazones (Star Peru) > Rainforest Expeditions in the Amazones (5 days) - back to Lima (Star peru flight).

Glad to help if I can.

Take care,

Cora

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Juliaca
Juliaca
Puno Region, Peru
Puno
Puno
Puno Region, Peru
Lake Titicaca
Lake Titicaca
1,728 Reviews
Puno, Peru
Paracas
Paracas
Ica Region, Peru
Nazca
Nazca
Ica Region, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Ollantaytambo
Ollantaytambo
Sacred Valley, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Madre de Dios Region, Peru
Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel documents for children entering Peru

Thank you for posting your comments about travelling in Peru. I am concerned about altitude sickness so I'll try and get some info. about this before we go. I'm thinking of travelling with GAP tours on a family adventure.

We, my daughter and I, travelled with GAP in Vietnam and it was fantastic. Great cultural experience and lots of activities. It didn't feel like a tour and it was fun for my daughter to have other kids. Have you travelled with a family tour before? It's more expensive but you can budget most of your costs before you go.

Happy Travels

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel documents for children entering Peru

OP, really glad you had a great trip with your daughter. But for all parents travelling on their own with their children: wherever possible, you should always travel with a notarized "permission slip" from the absent parent. Parents travelling alone with their children (married, single, divorced, same names, different names, whatever) can and do get stopped. Some countries (like Canada) are stricter than others.

7. Re: travel documents for children entering Peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 11:20