We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bank atm's

norfolk
Level Contributor
55 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
bank atm's

how much can you withdraw from an atm each day and what is the best denomination to carry

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bank atm's

Depends on your bank limit. Check with your bank.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bank atm's

It's not just the bank limit that comes into play. The ATM machines there also have a limit. The most I could withdraw was 700 soles - I know my bank allows more than that.

Edited: 18 August 2011, 13:04
Travelling for a...
Level Contributor
84 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bank atm's

Different ATMs have different limits. Some would only allow 300 soles but some over 1000 soles. The bigger, more international banks allow larger amounts to be withdrawn.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,253 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bank atm's

The limit is set by your bank, not by the ATM machine.

I know I can withdraw $2500 a day , worldwide with my Merrill Lynch Bank of America Visa card.

Travelling for a...
Level Contributor
84 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bank atm's

Xochitl - that is not the case. Of course your bank sets a limit, but so does the ATM.

Do not worry if one ATM allows only a small withdrawal - just go to another and draw out more. If you are not over your bank limit you will be fine. We found different ATMs allow very different withdrawals when we were in Peru in April/May this year.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bank atm's

As others have said, sometimes there is a withdrawal limit on the ATM -- for some, it was 700 soles, others 400, one in Aguas Calientes I used, it was 1500. However, there is a way around it, though not around the bank fees, unfortunately. We would ask to withdraw the maximum amount, complete the transaction, and then when the ATM asks if you want another transaction, say yes and ask for that amount again. I'm not sure if there is a limit on the number of transactions this way, but we did up to 3 maximum amount withdrawals on the same card without removing the card on many different ATMs without fail. Even though you get charged the bank fee twice, it saves you from having to go to another ATM just to get more money.

norfolk
Level Contributor
55 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bank atm's

many thanks to all for the info.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bank atm's

Typically, what denominations do withdrawals come in (20s? 50s? 100s?) and, back to the original question, what denomination is best to carry? Two days to go! Thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bank atm's

I found most ATMs gave withdrawals in 50 and 100 soles notes. As for what is best to carry -- 1, 2 and 5 soles coins, 10s, 20s, and sometimes 50s. The airport cambio booths were usually willing to exchange 100 soles notes for smaller denominations, but none of the casas de cambio in Cusco we visited were. Was never a huge issue -- restaurants, larger stores usually accepted 100s -- but I would imagine you could go to a bank if you needed to exchange some 100s.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bank atm's

Thanks Carab20, this is excellent information. All the guide books tell you keep small denominations in your pocket - now I better understand what they mean. I think we'll spend some time at the Lima airport upon our arrival looking for the cambio booth. Thanks again.