We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Peru: how to visit? Which mean of transport?

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
413 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Peru: how to visit? Which mean of transport?

One day (not this summer) I would like visiting the northern Peru.

I like doing self-organized tours and I usually avoid agencyes and tour operators. But...

1) Bus.

This would be my usual way of visiting (as I did in the south) , but in northern Peru it looks too tiring and time consuming . There are many many many places where to stop (Huaraz, Trujillo, Chiclayo, Chachapoyas, Cajamarca... with all the ruins and the landscape on the way!), and many many hours of travel from each other. Yes, I know the bus is an interesting experience on itself (I have already travelled in Peru), but this really looks too tiring and time consuming for me.

Furthermore, we have heavy luggage and my mate can't lift weights anymore after we had a car accident...

2) Rent a car with driver.

Is it possible? Pros and cons?

3) Organized tour.

I'd *really* like avoiding it, but if the only alternative is hopping up and down from the bus one thousand times with our heavy luggage..

4) Mixed tour.

Do you think it is possible doing some parts by bus and other parts with a private tours and/or private driver?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Peru: how to visit? Which mean of transport?

You can fly to Chiclayo and hire a driver through your hotel, same with Trujillo.

The Hague
Level Contributor
384 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Peru: how to visit? Which mean of transport?

Hi! We are in the same situation actually wondering if it would not be better to drive than fly from Trujillo and Mancora.

I contacted our hotel in Trujillo (Libertador) and they provided me their driver cost which is quite fair.

You should do the same.

3. Re: Northern Peru: how to visit? Which mean of transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2013, 10:31