We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos + Machu Picchu

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Galapagos + Machu Picchu

I am planning a trip for a family of four that is very active. The boys are 13 and 15. They want to visit the Galapagos as well as Machu Picchu. They are seeking a very active trip. They are looking to travel in June. Minimum 10 days to max 15. I've done so much research on tour companies, but still feel like I don't have a good grip on who is recommended and whether what is offered and for the price is adequate. This is why I am here to ask the travel experts so please answer away. Is it better by cruise?

Can anyone comment on any trips booked through:

1: galapagosislands.com

2: redmangrove.com

3: abercrombiekent.com

Thanks so much!

Alpaca Expeditions
Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Cultural Tours
Machu Picchu Viajes Peru
Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Archaeology Tours
Lorenzo Expeditions
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Inkan Milky Way Tours Cusco
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galapagos + Machu Picchu

The companies you are posting are high end ones. Are you travelling on a generous budget?

Let ne know please.

Dennis Yepez

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galapagos + Machu Picchu

The companies you are posting are high end ones. Are you travelling on a generous budget? Are you looking to hike the Inca trail as well? Are you divers?

Let ne know please.

Dennis Yepez

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galapagos + Machu Picchu

Hi. Are you looking for a tour company to organise everything for you, or just for advice? It is fully possible to organise this trip yourself and avoid the extra tour operators costs.

I take it you would fly to Lima? From there fly to Cuzco with Lan or Star Peru which you can book online very easily.

Llama Path tour company are highly recommended for the Inca Trail, which is 4 days culminating in a day at MP. There are other treks you can do that take a bit longer if you would rather push yourself more. If you go on the Llama Path website it has all the info on there and I found them most helpful when trying to plan my trip. There are numerous recommendations on trip advisor for Llama Path. They also list other activities you may be interested in, in the local area as it is great for trekking.

From Cuzco you can fly to Guayaquil in Ecuador (via Lima) and from Guayaquil book your flight to Baltra or San Cristobal in Galapagos. If you leave booking a cruise until a few days before you arrive, you will get considerable discount. I went on the Seaman II, a top end catamaran, which usually sells at $2,500 for the 5 day cruise. I booked it 1 hour before it was due to depart and got it for $620. Depends on whether cost is an issue for you or not.

I think your question is actually enquiring as to whether it is worth doing a cruise in the Galapagos, although it isn't clear. If so, my answer would be yes. I spent 10 days there (Jan 2012) and we planned to do everything ourselves, but once we arrived we quickly realised that the way the ferry schedules were planned was instrumental in forcing people to do cruises. Each time you want to hop to a different island, you have to come back to Santa Cruz. We ended up booking 2 boats at the last minute in Puerto Ayora, for considerably less than they are advertised online.

It is very easy to plan and book the trips yourself, the information online is vast and I never had any trouble when pre paying for things. If you ask more specifically what advice you are seeking, someone should be able to offer more help.

Regards

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galapagos + Machu Picchu

Dear castaway2006,

could I pick your brain please? I am going to Chile in late July 2012 and after my business there is done I would like to travel in Peru and also go to Galapagos. My husband wants to join me but at the moment we find it difficult to plan our trip. I asked one of the travel companies to plan it for me but the figure they came up with was simply unaffordable.

we have about two weeks time for travelling and could fly back to the UK from Lima. So I was thinking to fly to Galapagos from Santiago and have a tour there (your way of travelling really appeals to us :) and then fly to Peru to do Machu Picchu and possibly a short version of Inca Trail or Amazon.

Would you have any advice on how to start organizing all of this ? Flights first, I guess, then hotels (any recommendation on budget accommodations?). I know that if we to do the Inca Trail then we would need to book with the agency to get a pass. But for the rest I am clueless …

Thank you in advance!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,642 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galapagos + Machu Picchu

We have done the Galapagos cruise on the Celebrity Xpedition and we will do Machu Picchu after a cruise from Miami to Lima in January. I AM NOT an expert in this region but I have spent a lot of time researching options.

From what I have seen if you are doing the Inca Trail hike then as you acknowledge you need a local agency to coordinate this for you. If you are not doing the hike but visiting on your own you can faily easily coordinate this. Flights from Lima to CUZ operate frequently and there are a few English guides that are well recommended on this site who can assist from Cusco. Making arrangement to take the train from Cusco or Olly to Machu Picchu appears to be quite easy.

IMHO I would suggest you start by investigating the cruise option that you want for the Galapagos. They range from smaller ships (commonly called yachts) that accomodate about 16 passengers up to the Xpedition and National Geographic/Lindblad ship which hold about 90-100. We loved the Xpedition and would be happy to share more info with you about this if you need it.

Once you have narrowed down the cruise it should be pretty easy to decide whether to do Machu Picchu first or after the cruise and that piece of the trip, especially if you are not doing the Inca Trail hike, should also be easy to arrange.

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galapagos + Machu Picchu

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. We won’t be able to stay long in Galapagos, so I think 5 days/4 nights cruise option is for us. I am inclined to do what castaway2006 did and just fly there and book something close to departure. The risk of course is that there might be nothing to book :( and also the cruise departure dates and hotel booking (how many nights to book, etc.) …

We are considering to do a short Inca Trail (2 days), so would need to book in advance for this. Thanks.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galapagos + Machu Picchu

Medic,

Looking at the celebrity 1 week trip for feb. we looked at Overseas Adventure n National Geographic, but we like the idea of a nicer trip and that they give you a choice of how active you want to be on your shore activity ( we will probably opt for active rather than mild)

How did you like it? Thinking about flying to Lima for a few days after for Machu Pichu.

Just started researching, but we will most likely be 3 couples and while we all want to do the cruising, our after trips may be of different lengths. Appreciate any input from you or anyone else who can weigh in on Celebrity Xpedition.

Thanks!

8. Re: Galapagos + Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2013, 10:45