We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two months in South America - where to go and what to do?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Two months in South America - where to go and what to do?

I want to go to South America two months. If someone wants to join in please let me know! Anytime soon until mid to end May is when Im available. I do not know anyone there. I don't know where to go and how to plan it. So ideally I would like, 1. cheap accommodation 2. people to do activities with like snorkel, hike, visit attractions, party etc. 3. travel between cities like Chile, Argentina, Peru? I dont know how expensive this is...

So I guess what Im asking is how to find a good route and get to find out how much it will cost and how I can book tours to do different activities with other people while there cause I do not want to do it alone. Do I just go with the flow when I get there and plan the first leg on my own. Won't living in hotels be expensive?

Alpaca Expeditions
Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Cultural Tours
Machu Picchu Viajes Peru
Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Archaeology Tours
Lorenzo Expeditions
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Inkan Milky Way Tours Cusco
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two months in South America - where to go and what to do?

How much money do you have to work with?

Helps to figure out how many places you can go and what activities you can afford. South America is a big place.

I guess cost is relative. Supertramp hostel by machu picchu is about $17 a night in US dollars - is that reasonable to you? Go to hostels.com to find hostels around the world. Make sure to check out hotel reviews before staying there. There are reviews here (where you can see how many posts those people have made so you get a better idea if they are legit reviewers or not) as well as hostel.com.

You might meet up with some people to travel with at hostels. I don't think it's a guarantee though so if you want to be with others the whole time, perhaps you should join a tour.

Edited: 10 March 2012, 20:48
United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two months in South America - where to go and what to do?

Just looked at your post history and saw that you were thinking Australia too. I think that's a fantastic choice for you - better than SA. It has everything you want - snorkel, hiking, partying, etc.

Plus, it sounds like you may be new at planning trips. Australia is just safer. Not that SA isn't safe enough for travel but there are precautions to take, like making sure you go with the right bus companies in Peru cause some have bad accident histories where many have died. For a newbie, Australia is just better in my opinion (and cheaper than you think depending on how you travel i.e. hostels, etc).

FYI, contiki's Australia tours are quite fantastic if you end up opting for a tour. 50% of their travelers are solo like you and its great for party lovers. They used to have this tour option where you fly in a tiny open top plane with just one pilot and then they cut off the engine midflight and you spiral down until they turn the engine on again. Total adrenaline rush if they still offer it. If you're into that sort of thing but decide to go on your own (which is totally doable), I'd recommend trying to find a day tour company that offers that experience.

Sacramento...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two months in South America - where to go and what to do?

I'll also be in Peru and Argentina mid May. I'm mainly going to visit Machu Picchu, the jungle, and Iguazu falls. What countries did you have in mind?

4. Re: Two months in South America - where to go and what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 11:41