We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-pod in Peru - does it work with Peru wi-fi

Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
I-pod in Peru - does it work with Peru wi-fi

Is there anything I need to know before I take it with me for skype and internet? Last year I took it to guatemala, and it didn't work at all.

I've loaded it with apps, such as money exchange, language translation, etc., which would really come in handy.

It's small enough it will fit into a pocket or wear it around my neck. I just want it to work.

Charlotte

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-pod in Peru - does it work with Peru wi-fi

Almost all hotels have some form of wifi or guest computers available for free, unlimited guest use. My experience was that they tended to be slow but what do you expect...broadband is limited and guests often mob the signal all at once. Ipods are purported to not work at high altitudes...I used my IPOD all over Peru with no issues. You can chill outside of any Starbucks or inside a decent hotel and often you'll find a hotspot but nearly every place you find will require a password, "contrasena" which you can get with a tiny purchase of a tea or something. We signed up for an international text data plan with my wife's iphone and turned it off airplane mode infrequently and found we had much better service strength with Claro...even in remote parts of Peru than we received in Orange County, CA.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-pod in Peru - does it work with Peru wi-fi

How did you make out with the Ipod? I'm wondering the same thing now that I have one!

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-pod in Peru - does it work with Peru wi-fi

Re iPods and altitude : this is an issue with the Classic model , and all other hard drive based gizmos. I´ve seen three portable hard drives and a mp3 player crash in Tibet & Ladakh. Flash based equipment , like iPod Touch , iPhone etc are not affected.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 07:48
Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I-pod in Peru - does it work with Peru wi-fi

My Ipod worked very well. I was able to skype friends back home, which is free if you do a skype to skype connection. Cheap way to stay in touch. It was a great way to e-mail photos or videos off of your ipod to your friends, or send them to yourself so that you can delete them off your ipod.

That said, in some "hot spots" so many people are using the wi-fi that connections are slowed down to an irritating level. I'm talking about places like the food court in the international airport, Kennedy Park ((yes, there is wi-fi in some parks). When you see lots of people on gadgets and laptops, you know your ipod isn't going to get much of the signal. I gave up on sending e-mails in these locations because all I was accomplishing was using up my battery

but in hotel rooms, restaurants, coffee shops, that was where my ipod really got used. One caveat about hotel rooms....If your room is too far away from the satellite receiver (or whatever that thing is called), you might have to limit your wi-fi-ing to when you are on that level of the hotel.

Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I-pod in Peru - does it work with Peru wi-fi

One other thing to mention about ipods in Peru - put the Trip Advisor app on it so you can keep up with people suggestions and reviews of restaurants, etc. I also put on a currency converter, and a couple of other travel apps that came in handy.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
535 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I-pod in Peru - does it work with Peru wi-fi

Thanks again, Charlotte. I do not have an iPhone or iPod, but do have an ipad2 that I am considering taking along, just to be able to email my hubby and to use for keeping photos etc. do you think it is necessary? Or did the hotels have enough access to computers?

Also, I am curious....did you travel as a solo woman in Peru?

Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I-pod in Peru - does it work with Peru wi-fi

Marla:

Don't know what to say about hotels having computers. That is something you would need to check with your hotel about. Most of my hotels did, but prior to booking with them, I checked to see if they had internet stations or wi-fi.

I saw i-pads all over the place. They may not be as portable as the smaller gadgets like i-pods, but certainly in restaurants, coffee shops, the big airport, and other venues, people were using i-pads.

I may not have needed it for the ipod because of it's low voltage requirements, but I did buy an adaptor for my camera and ipod at REI. It was the one for Japan and South America. This was useful for keeping things charged up.

Let me know if that answers your questions

As to travleing alone, yes I did for 17 days. I did have a tour company for my trip to Manu, but that was the only time I was on an official tour. I hired a driver and guide for my Sacred Valley day, I had a guide in Nasca to cart me around to other sites after my fly-over because they are not within walking distance, and I hired a guide for some ruins in Cusco. Other than that, I went walking around Miraflores and San Isidro districts in Lima alone, went on the train, did MP and HP on my own. Of course, I needed drivers to pick me up from bus stations and airports.

Let me know if you have any questions about that, as well.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I-pod in Peru - does it work with Peru wi-fi

Thanks for the useful info. Many hotels do have a guest computer but there were a few on my last trip where they had wi fi but no pc. They did let me borrow a hotel laptop but this may depend on whether the right person is around. One thing I am adding is an adaptor for memory card to USB.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
535 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I-pod in Peru - does it work with Peru wi-fi

Thanks, Charlotte and MLGB...I will take my IPad in my carryon. And now I feel better about part of my trip going solo (just the first two nights, then I join a small group tour) for years I traveled internationally for my job, and have gone off on my own in many foreign cities, using public transportation. I do have cars arranged from my hotel to the bus station and all other places, so I believe I am set. Thanks again.

10. Re: I-pod in Peru - does it work with Peru wi-fi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 07:16