We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Titicaca overnight Jan 2013

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
159 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Titicaca overnight Jan 2013

Going to be in Peru after a cruise from FLL Dec-Feb. Will be in Arequipa for 2 weeks and Cuzco for 2 weeks. Doing a side trip to Lake Titicaca. Has anyone stayed overnight on the islands there? Cost? Agent to use? Sleeping conditions? What to bring/wear? Getting from Julicana to Lake T (time to get there from airport and was transport? Thanks,

Ted

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Titicaca overnight Jan 2013

45 minutes aprox from Juliaca Airport to Puno city, would recommend contacting your hotel for the transfer from the airport, more expensive but safer.

Sorry have not stayed at one the Islands, Amantani is well recommended, you can search for some past reviews.

It would be cold on the shade and by night, bring sunblock also.

Taquile is my favourite island

Happy plannings!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,619 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Titicaca overnight Jan 2013

I really enjoyed my stay with a family on Amantaní. While most have no electricity, the family I was with had a couple of solar panels that were just enough to power a few fluorescent bulbs to dimly illuminate the steps and the bathroom, There was no light in the room. I had a private room. The bathroom is shared. The bed featured a "box spring" made of flexible reeds, with a thin regular mattress on top. There were lots of heavy blankets but I still wore sweats and a knit cap to bed and slept cozily. The food was simple and filling. In the evening they will dress you up in local finery and take you to a community center for music and dancing.

The next day after breakfast we departed for Taquile. This island is indeed lovely and the quality of the knit wear is very high (the men knit exquisite caps of fine wool). The island was a little less rustic and somewhat more "organized" for tourism than Amantaní.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
159 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Titicaca overnight Jan 2013

thank you both. I will probably pick your mind for some more info. what you provided was very helpful.

azbuceadora,.. how did you book your stay. It sounded as if you were sleeping over on the islands one night on each. Do you remember the name of the family on A with whom you stayed? How did you arrange your excursion? Thanks, Ted

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Titicaca overnight Jan 2013

I agree with the above commentaries. Taquile is more prepared for overnight stays of foreigners, however still quite rustic. There are a couple families who have excellent lodge/home stays on both. That's the important part, finding an agency who has positive relationships with the families who work best with tourists and have safe, enjoyable, tested, hosting experience.

Also, if you like a more active stay on Titicaca, kayaking to Isla Taquile can really take the experience to new levels!

Feel free to be in touch,

Jordan Harvey

Knowmad

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,619 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Titicaca overnight Jan 2013

Grocki, my tour of the islands was part of the total itinerary I planned with the travel agent so I don't know what it cost. All Ways Travel gets recommended a lot here on the forum for their lake tours so that might be a good starting point.

The tour was just 2d/1n; the first day we visited the Uros "floating islands," which I found interesting, then we headed across the lake to Amantaní. The families who are registered to accept guests do so on a rotating basis so you wouldn't necessarily be able to choose a particular house. The guide on board divvied up the passengers among the hosts based on how many were in the party (I was traveling alone, and one more couple stayed at the house).

After settling in we hiked up to the top of the island to see the ruins, then made our way back "home" where we ate supper and then went to the dance. That sort of thing is not something I usually do, but it was more fun than I thought it would be. The next morning we traveled to Taquile, and after a tour and lunch there went back to Puno.

Holland
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Titicaca overnight Jan 2013

We will be staying in a family home on Amantani this summer. Do we need to bring our own towels and some sheets maybe or will this be provided by our hosts? Please advise!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,619 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Titicaca overnight Jan 2013

Sheets are already on the bed; I think there was a communal hand towel in the bathroom. It was too cold to want to take a shower; I use hand wipes to bathe with in camping sort of situations.

Holland
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Titicaca overnight Jan 2013

Thx azbuceadora. Nice seeing your posts again. We made good use of your posts on the Ecuador form last year!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Titicaca overnight Jan 2013

the hosts houses at Amantani are really basic...not sure where u guys stayed but there is no flushing toilet, let alone a shower. don't expect heaters either so come well prepared. there are heavy bedsheets provided....Taquile seems a bit better in terms of scenery n they looked more organised too...

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,619 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Titicaca overnight Jan 2013

Raras, the family I stayed with are second generation hosts; the matriarch was among the first. They have a purpose-built house to accommodate a couple of guests or more. It was simply luck of the draw that I stayed with them, while others from the boat did indeed use outhouses.

Wow, Vandammetjes, you have a good memory if you remember my posting on the Ecuador forum. Enjoy Peru; I sure did.