We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need yellow fever vaccine?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do I need yellow fever vaccine?

Hi all

In July I will be travelling to Lima, cusco inc inca trail, lake titicaca, colca canyon and Mancora. My doctors are telling me I need the private yellow fever vaccine! Can anyone confirm if we do? Also will we need malaria tablets?

Cheers

Mark

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,313 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need yellow fever vaccine?

If only going to those places, you don't need them.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294311-c4353/Peru:Va…

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need yellow fever vaccine?

Unless you are visiting the Amazon Jungle I wouldnt worry about either.

Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need yellow fever vaccine?

There are no diseases in the areas you will be visiting. The Yellow Fever vaccination is only required if you are planning to travel to the jungle. Neither you need to have malaria tablets for your Peru travel.

Have a nice journey to Peru!

Peru Biking Tours

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
214 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need yellow fever vaccine?

Before any trip the best thing to do is review with the CDC which vaccines, if any, are required or suggested for the regions you will be visiting. We would not risk anything on the opinions of people without any medical training.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/

Rainforest Cruises

Little Canfield...
Level Contributor
971 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need yellow fever vaccine?

We have just returned from Peru having taken a similar route to you with the exception of Mancora (we went to Paracas on the coast south of Lima). Our local travel clinic did not deem it necessary to have yellow fever vaccine. It was only recommended if going to the jungle.

Do take a good mossie repellant if you are doing the Inca Trail.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,290 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need yellow fever vaccine?

Yellow fever vaccine is only recommended if travelling to the jungle area.

Other vaccines like hepatitis A and B are strongly recommended.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need yellow fever vaccine?

some countries will want to see the vaccination cert of the countries listed with yellow fever if u re-enter within six days.. best to check with your immigration dept. or the next destination country regulation...

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need yellow fever vaccine?

If you check the travel health website for UK you can see that YF is generally not recommended for a short stay in Mancora. Probably yr provider is reading the map without reading the legend. Still not a bad idea to use insect repellent there and when you visit MP to prevent bites of several types of insects.

Eatonton, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need yellow fever vaccine?

The yellow fever shot is a "live" virus and can trigger certain illnesses, like leukemia. My husband has a dormant form of CLL and cannot take any shots with live virus. We took a trip up the Amazon and he only had to show the ship an excuse from his doctor. Also, I read recently that Peru did an eradication program and no longer requires the yellow fever shot.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need yellow fever vaccine?

Hasn't been required in a long time but CDC still has a "recommended" for certain regions. South America is not a high-risk location for most travelers, unless you plan on spending a lot of time around monkeys and mosquitos.

…cdc.gov/travel/…seldyfm298