We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AREQUIPA or Puno/Lake Titicaca

Orlando, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
AREQUIPA or Puno/Lake Titicaca

I have 10 days to spend in Peru. I'm planning several days for Cuzco and Machu Picchu. That leaves a few days for Lima and then one other location. Should that be Arequipa or Puno/Lake Titicaca? I'm leaning toward Arequipa as it's a lower altitude and I could go there first and acclimate. What do you think?

cusco peru
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: AREQUIPA or Puno/Lake Titicaca

Yes!! the most advisable places to visit after Cusco are:

Puno - 3750 masl ( amantani, sillustani, Uros, takile).

Arequipa 2700 masl (Colca Canyon)

Ica (Nazca lines, Islas Ballestas, Huacachina)

Cheers!

Flint Hills, Kansas
Level Contributor
74 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AREQUIPA or Puno/Lake Titicaca

I would not spend much time in Lima. Arequipa and Colca Canyon are well worth the visit. The altitude at Puno is tough to handle. You should spend some time in the Sacred Valley, especially Ollantaytambo.

ottawa
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AREQUIPA or Puno/Lake Titicaca

I loved Arequipa!. The Catalina Monastery is a must to see. I was quite unwell in Colca Canyon and Puno due to altitude even though I had spent 2 full days in Arequipa.

CUSCO
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: AREQUIPA or Puno/Lake Titicaca

Yes it si good Fligh Lima -Arequipa Colca Canyon and then go to Cuzco so the you can do the City tour in Cusco and Sacred Valey of the incas and last days Machupicchu 2 days 1 Night

:)

My Best Regards

Inka Hoots TrAavel

Rock Hill, South...
Level Contributor
40 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AREQUIPA or Puno/Lake Titicaca

We spent a day in both and honestly I found Arequipa sort of boring. We didn't have time to do Colca Canyon which seems like the thing that would have made it worth visiting. The tour of Lake Titicaca on the other hand was one of the best parts of our trip.

Brighton
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AREQUIPA or Puno/Lake Titicaca

Both destinations are lovely. If you are going pre-Cusco then presumably Arequipa makes a bit more sense simply because of altitude. Post-Cusco I would personally suggest the train up to Puno then visit Titicaca from there. My personal favourite on Lake Titicaca is Suasi Island Lodge. That would all roll in to a 3 night stay (1 in Puno, 2 on Suasi) then fly out of Juliaca.

That's amongst the most expensive ways to do it but you really get out into the lake and feel the scale and remoteness of it which you don't get from Puno.

I hope this helps.

7. Re: AREQUIPA or Puno/Lake Titicaca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:17