We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ECS Travel Review Peru

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
159 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
ECS Travel Review Peru

ECS Travel Review Peru

Prior to holiday

Eliu Campos listened to my requirements and created an itinerary that included all of my requests. He modified it to suit my budget without ruining the content of the tour. Payments made by credit card were smooth and everything was booked quickly.

He also contacted us regularly throughout the trip to keep abreast of our holiday.

Transfers

All transfers were spot on with people waiting to meet us at the airport/ bus station/ train station, all were made in safe, sensible cars or vans.

I was hesitant with regards to the long bus journeys that were required (Lima-Paracas-Nazca-Arequipa). However, the buses were amazing. Superb legroom, comfortable seats and entertainment if you wanted it. I would however take earphones to block out the sound of this system.

The Andean Explorer train was ok, however, had I known the buses comfort I’d do the Puno-Cusco by bus instead. The meal served was excellent and the train was on time.

The Vistadome train wasn’t up to the same standard. On our outbound journey we were given 2 seats that had been squeezed in, and were totally different from the other customers, however, the train was full and we were unable to move. The return journey offered better seats and much more comfort, until the waiter smashed a glass all over me! (and really didn’t know how to deal with it). This however was not the fault of ECS, although I would recommend they book decent seats for future customers.

Destinations

We visited many wonderful places. The Nazca Lines flight were amazing and a must do. The Colca Canyon was special and we saw 10 condors flying extremely closely to us, simply breathtaking! Machu Picchu obviously and the incredible Manu Park.

Guides

We had amazing private guides in Arequipa, Colca, Manu Park, Lima and Machu Picchu. The guide Liz in Arequipa was incredibly passionate about her city and I enjoyed talking to her about life in Peru and the politics of the country. Ruben in MP was extremely knowledgeable. Jose in the jungle was a brilliant spotter, who just needed a brief glance to identify an animal. The guide in Lima (Fabina I think), again was friendly and knowledgeable. I did however have some criticism of our guide in Cusco. Whilst she provided us with the information required about the sights, I felt she lacked the passion and it was simply ‘a job’ for her to do. Likewise on the journey to the Sacred Valley, she didn’t talk to us at all, just left us to ourselves. I’m not suggesting she bombard us with talk for the entire journey, but a small chat here and there.

Meals

We had some meals included and they were lovely. The extra detail of our anniversary meal was an excellent addition, thank you!

Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge meals were delicious.

He also made reservations at Central and Astrid/Gaston for us (Go to Central it’s far better!!)

Hotels

We stayed in some lovely hotels. Particularly the Colca Lodge and Sanctuary Lodge. However, the Casa Andina Private Collection in Puno, Select in Lima, Sonesta in Arequipa and Hacienda in Paracas were good. The jungle lodges were well kept up and offered good facilities for their locations.

I highly recommend this company to anyone wanting to travel to Peru.

24 replies to this topic
Lima
Level Contributor
81 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ECS Travel Review Peru

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your valuable review and feedback.

It will help us improve our service

Best regards,

Eliu

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ECS Travel Review Peru

To add to the lengthy review above: I've been traveling for 40+ years abroad (mostly without the use of a tour agency), and the professionalism with which ECS Travel handled our tour was of the highest standards that we’ve ever experienced. Every driver who picked us up or met us, every guide who accompanied us, every lodging, every restaurant suggestion… were top of the line. Even as we were checking into a hotel, the front desk phone began to ring and it was one of the ECS team members checking to see if everything were okay and to see how we enjoyed the most recent leg of our trip. It was as if we had a guardian angel on our shoulder the entire time we were ‘on our own’ making certain thal all our needs were being met. We look forward to telling everyone about ECS and especially Elihu who was by my side from the first email question to our 'conversation' today stateside. Although the country and its people are remarkable, what made this adventure so much better was the first-class service that we received from ECS Travel and its team (Elihu, Julio, all the guides and drivers). This country knows tourism without ever being condescending, and having ECS customize our trip to our interests and needs was perfect. The fact that we could start this trip any day of the year was also a blessing, since we were not locked into any specific start/stop dates. A final note: the Andean Explorer is a trip not to be missed. This 10-hour train ride afforded us the opportunity to experience the magnificent views unobstructed, enjoy fine cuisine, entertainment, fashion shows, bartending lessons on make the perfect Pisco Sour and meeting fascinating people. The time flew!

Hasta luego!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
13 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ECS Travel Review Peru

ECS THANK YOU.................

I just got back after a 16 day trip in Peru with ECS. Eliu , Julio , Dina and all of the staff were absolutley fantastic with the way they organised my trip. Would STRONGLY recommend this company as they know exactly what is the best for you and they cater to your needs to the T. thanks once again fro making Peru so very memorable for me.

Su Mukund

New Zealand 9th May 2013

Cave Creek, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: ECS Travel Review Peru

We recently returned from a great FIT vacation with ECS Travel. From the first email to the end of the trip we found everything to be excellent. Eliu gave us a phone and kept in contact throughout the trip. The guides were highly professional showing their understanding of the area, the history, and the people. They were without exception very prompt and courtesy. The hotels and travel arrangements in Peru were flawless. The destinations were above and beyond our expectations. We did have an incident where my husband required hospitalization overnight. Our local agent in Cuzco, Julio, went above and beyond to help us. He even visited the hospital that night. While we anticipated have to miss some of the tour sights on the itenerary, ECS was able to coordinate and arrange for us to continue on and see all of the sights we were looking forward to. We have many wonderful pictures and fond memories of Peru and of the entire staff that planned and helped us throughout this adventure. We would highly and confidently recommend ECS to any traveler with plans for Peru. They are great!

Beverly and Dennis Wells,

August 3, 2013

Reston, Virginia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ECS Travel Review Peru

Dear Mr. Campos,

Thank you for a wonderful trip. I appreciate the personal time and attention you provided to make sure everything went safely according to plan. Your drivers and guides did an outstanding job and, of course, your guide service while in Lima was most helpful. For my Cusco and Machu Picchu private tour, every pickup was on time, every guide and service was as promised, every hotel and restaurant recommended was excellent and the experience was more than I hoped for.

I look forward to my next trip to Peru and will certainly recommend your services to any colleagues who travel there.

August 7, 2013

Edited: 07 August 2013, 20:13
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ECS Travel Review Peru

My wife and I just returned from an 11-day trip to Peru through ECS Travel. We went to the Amazon, Cusco, Lima and Lake Titicaca. It was truly an amazing experience. Eliu Campos and his crew were absolute professionals and truly made the effort to ensure my wife and I had a wonderful experience. The country is great, the food is great, and the service provided by Mr Campos and his team was unbelievable. I highly recommend ECS travel to anyone who wants to go to Peru.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ECS Travel Review Peru

We just returned from a wonderful three-week trip to Peru custom organized by ECS Travel for us and one other couple. We were very impressed by the service we received, both in the months leading up to the trip and during the trip itself......Eliu was always moments away by email or by phone.

Everything went so smoothly, even when one of our flights was cancelled at the very last moment and they had to rearrange our trip to make sure that we didn't miss a thing. There was always someone waiting for us on our arrival at each location. The train trips were memorable (music, fashion show, food, drinks and, of course, shopping) and even the bus rides were relatively luxurious.

Our private guides were all very knowledgable but we particularly loved Lizbet in Cusco and the Sacred Valley, Marlene at Refugio Amazonas and Fabiana in Lima.

All the hotels were comfortable and clean, though there were occasional hot water problems. All were conveniently located within an easy walk of attractions, restaurants and shops. The stay at Refugio Amazonas in the rainforest was fantastic - a not-to-be missed experience.

We unreservedly recommend ECS Travel to anyone planning a trip to Peru. Eliu and his team will look after you very well!

Elise and Mike

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

October 2013

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ECS Travel Review Peru

ECS Travel Peru review

October 2013

One week ago we returned from a three week holiday in Peru organized by ECS Travel. We want to thank Eliu Campos and his team for the great organization of this trip and all support offered during our stay in Peru.

Reservation of the trip:

The itinerary was customized with all requirements we had, even in the last moment of the trip changes were possible and applied without any problem. All replies to our emails came in maximum 24 hours. Before final reservation, we were asked for confirmation of the detailed itinerary (hotels, transfers including hours and duration). Payment by bank transfer went smoothly.

Arrival in Peru:

Eliu Campos waited for us at the hotel in Lima and we were guided through the whole schedule of the trip. Required tickets for traveling and visits where handed over during this introduction.

Transfers:

Once arriving in a new city, a representative of the travel agency was waiting for transferring us at the hotel.

We used to be informed what time the guide was going to pick us up for the agreed tour either during the transfer to the hotel or by phone at the hotel.

Traveling by bus (Cruz del Sur) is excellent; you have all the comfort you need, including food, drinks and entertainment system. Consider small delays, which are traffic dependent (e.g. a lot of trucks). We enjoyed a lot the train from Aguas Calientes to Cusco, as the train has glass roof, so you can admire the breathtaking mountain scenery. Transfers by plane were a bit delayed (1 hour), however they did not involve any airport/extra luggage taxes.

Tours, guides and porters:

All places were lovely: Islas Ballestas with its unique fauna, Huacachina with the buggy ride and sand boarding, flight over the Nazca lines, Lake Titicaca with floating Uros Islands and Taquile Island, Arequipa and Cusco cities, Inca Trail and Machu Picchu, Tambopata National Reserve.

Sometimes we had a private guide, sometimes we were assigned to a bigger group (especially for the city tours).

All guides are well prepared, polite, and provided us with a lot of information. Some of them exceeded the expectations like: the private guide in the Colca Canyon who learned us about local traditions and medical usage of different plants; the quide for the Chauchilla Cemetery who made a real history lesson; our guide in Arequipa, the guide in Lake Titicaca, and all the rest.

Respect for all porters on the Inca Trail who prepared a cake for us in the middle of the mountains (at 3.000 m altitude); not to mention the delicious warm meals, and hard work to carry all the weight.

We suggest allocating more time for Sacred Valley tour and Inca sites around Cusco, as the sites are huge and it's very difficult to visit all corners in 20 minutes/each location.

Hotels:

All hotels were clean and had all facilities (power adapter, wireless, laundry etc).

Only the hotel in Puno was a bad experience: not the hotel itself, but because the reconstruction of the road it was actually no road, but a street full of mud; it is true that we also arrived when it was raining.

Meals:

All included meals were great. Food is simply delicious in Peru.

Sometimes we had to skip breakfast in the hotels, due to early transfers/tours (5 a.m).

On Inca Trail we expected basic food, so we bought a lot of protein snacks. The food was delicious and simply too much. We had a similar nice surprise in Colca Canyon, excellent food prepared by local family.

Support during the trip:

During bus transfer from Paracas to Ica we lost a big suitcase. We asked Eliu for support. The suitcase was loaded in the bus for Nasca instead of the bus for Ica, however, by the end of the day, the suitcase was in our hotel room.

During the tour on Lake Titicaca the guide informed us that protests would take place next day, and the road Puno-Cusco would be blocked. As a result we were informed we had to take the night bus to Cusco that evening, which was very much appreciated, as we had one extra day in Cusco, and did not risk at all the Inca Trail booked 5 months in advance.

Many thanks for the huge chocolate cake and very good Peruvian champagne offered by ECS Travel in Cusco for our birthday celebration.

End of the trip:

Eliu Campos came to say good bye and asked for feedback. After we arrived back home Eliu emailed to ask whether we are safe home.

It was the best holiday we ever had. We highly recommend ECS Travel for any trip to Peru.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ECS Travel Review Peru

In September we had one day in Lima. We were picked up at the airport by a driver from ECS and before we left the airport, Teresa was calling to make sure everything was ok. Our one day was well planned and featured ruins, city tour and two great restaurants. We were able to get a good feel for Lima and could not have don't half of the activities on our own. Thank you Teresa for a great day

Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: ECS Travel Review Peru

From the moment we began planning our trip to Peru, Eliu Campos was very attentive, professional and quick to respond. With ECS travel, we were able to make a memorable vacation that fit within our time constraints and our travel desires. Eliu met us on our very first day & provided us with a cell phone in case of emergencies or any issues, which was very helpful. Every step of the way, there was someone to detail our travel plans for the day & to ensure that we made every train, bus or car ride or flight on time. During our trip, we had two local flight delays, but the company was already aware of these even before we contacted them & when we landed at our destinations, we always had people waiting to pick us up despite the slight flight delays. It was so nice not to have to worry about transportation logistics the entire time we were in Peru.

We started our trip in Puerto Maldonaldo in the Amazon jungle. We stayed two nights at the Hacienda Concepcion in a cabana, which was very clean & spacious with two hammocks inside. We could listen to the sounds of the jungle all night. The three course dinners every night were amazing, fresh & a very nice surprise. During our time there, we went on a variety of expeditions including a nighttime boat excursion and a daytime excursion to Lake Sandoval & were able to see a variety of animals such as monkeys, otters, alligators with our very knowledgeable guide Carlos.

We then flew back to Cusco & were driven to the sacred valley, where we had a a day & a half to adjust to the altitude. We explored the Pisco markets & took a day trip to Ollantaytambo ruins with our guide Lisbeth, who we loved, At night, we were able to eat dinner on our own. Our favorite place was El Huacatay.

On our second night in the sacred valley, we took the Perurail to the town of Aguas Calientes, after which we took a bus up to Macchu Picchu. The train journey was nice, comfortable & scenic. Macchu Picchu was incredible & our guide was very knowledgeable. This is probably one of our favorite day trips. We only wish that it could have been longer. We had buffet lunch included at the restaurant there at the Sanctuary lodge, but honestly, it was not worth the price.

From Macchu Picchu, we took the Perurail to Cusco. We loved the city of Cusco! Lisbeth was our guide & we spent the whole day exploring Moray, Marras and other incan ruins. Our only regret is that we would have loved to have spent a 3rd night in this city.

After Cusco, we flew back to Lima for a night. We started with the Museo de Larco, which was nice & we highly recommend eating in their quaint café. Afterwards, we took a city tour and saw the crypts under a convent of San Francisco. My favorite part was the park of love, which had a colorful ceramic wall & the reserve park which had 12 different water fountains with different light effects.

Reply to: ECS Travel Review Peru
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted