We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SATO South America Travels Online

Flanders, New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SATO South America Travels Online

We just returned from an amazing trip to Peru which we booked with SATO.

I was a little nervous at first since we did not know much from SATO but was quickly reassured after talking with Seppe who answered all my questions and e-mails very quickly and always told me not to hesitate if I had more questions.Compared to other tour packages I also thought their price was pretty good.

We spent 8 days in Lima, Cusco, Sacred Valley, Macchu Picchu, Ica and the nasca lines. With all the different places we stayed at, we did not have one late transfer or problem and we have Juan from Lima, Boris from Cusco and Raul from Ica to thank for that, all three were great!! They all shared with us the knowledge they had from Peru and culture which was very nice to get to know so much about Peru in such little time, also the tours that were offered by SATO were very informative and well programmed.

My husband and I very much enjoyed our stay in Peru and are very thankful we were able to experience this amazing trip.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me,

Liz

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
Ica
Ica
Ica Region, Peru
55 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SATO South America Travels Online

Hi Liz, thank you for the post. Great to hear that you had a wonderful time with SATO. I have recently booked my trip to Peru with Peru Travels Online (the Peru part of SATO) and am really looking forward to it. I will be visiting Lima, Ica, Nazca, Cusco, Inca Valley and Machu Picchu. Seppe has been really great in getting back to my questions but as you recently came back I would like to ask if you would have any last minutes tips? Thank you.

Lakshman

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Ica
Ica
Ica Region, Peru
Nazca
Nazca
Ica Region, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Flanders, New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: SATO South America Travels Online

Hi Lakshman,

It sounds like you will be having the same itinerary as we did.

In Lima if you need to call a cab do not have the hotel call you one as they will call someone they use which will be 3 times the price as a regular one ( much nicer one, but a regular cab really does the trick) instead get one right in the street,use the white or yellow cabs that have the registration number painted to the side on the cabs and you will be fine.

Not sure if your flight lands late at night ( ours did) and if you want to rest in the morning or not but we had a Lima tour in the afternoon changed to the morning so we could do something else in the afternoon ( Seppe was very nice to suggest it, we wanted to go to the food festivalMistura that was going on). Also if you want dinner and show Junius is a good one, it was only a few blocks walking from Allpa hotel.

In Ica, try to go to Huachachina Oasis, it is beautiful! you can have the driver book you the tour ( he will probably suggest it to you) they pick you up at 3.30 pm, you will go on a sanbuggie through the desert and sandboarding, and you get to see the sunset over the desert ( it was 60 soles per person).

in Cusco if you have extra time there are other places you can visit that are included in your ticket ( we went to the 7 or 8 pm traditional dances of Peru at the cultural center) You can go there after your Cusco tour, ask the driver to drop you off there.

Also regarding altitude sickness we brought diamox with us, my husband took it but I did not and we both were fine, only a mild headache the first day, I recommend drinking lots and lots of water as you will be walking around a lot!

Aahh! Macchu Picchu! soo beautiful and mystical! You have no idea what it is like until you are there! We were only there one day so we even skipped lunch and just walked around until it was time to go back on the train( we just brought snacks), Make sure you do the trail to the sungate, the view is simply amazing ( it is about one hour to get there, 30 to 40 min to walk back, as it goes down) lots of water and plenty sunscreen(I ended up getting sunburn on the back of my neck and ears, 2 spots I missed) , we had great weather but we were told it was raining a few days before we went so you might want to pack a small umbrella just in case. Also if you can leave your luggages at the first hotel in cusco and take only what you need for one night and SATO will transfer them for you at the other one with no problems, Seppe even e-mailed me to let me know they had been transfered.

You will definetly have an amazing trip, everything went so smoothly and everyone was very helpful, I wish I could go back!

I posted pictures on facebook and made them public, if you would like look for

Elizabeth Faes.

If you have more questions let me know!

Liz

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Allpa Hotel & Suites
Allpa Hotel & Suites
666 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Ica
Ica
Ica Region, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Peru
Peru
South America
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SATO South America Travels Online

I travelled with SATO last year and did more or less the same itinerary. I think Liz has pointed out some good points and I absolutely also reccommend to see Huacachina, especially around sunset...amazing!!! The other tip I would give is to take only whatever you may need on the train to Machu Picchu. We went for 2 days and wanted to take our suitcases with us but were not allowed to take this with us on the train as the luggage allowance is limited. Therefore it is best to leave the other luggage at the hotel in Cusco or the Sacred Valley - as Liz did...Hope this helps. Enjoy Peru it is amazing!!!

Mentioned in this post
Huacachina
Huacachina
Ica Region, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
Peru
Peru
South America
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SATO South America Travels Online

We are planning South american Trip next year and consider using SATO.

Has anyone from Australis used SATO and had any problems?

It looks to me most people using SATO are from USA.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SATO South America Travels Online

Shouldn't make any difference what country you are from, IMO.

I would always book my own international flights, regardless.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SATO South America Travels Online

Thank you all very much for the tips! I will for sure keep them in mind! We will also be visiting Ica and Huacachina! Cannot wait!

Thanks again,

Lakshman

Mentioned in this post
Ica
Ica
Ica Region, Peru
Huacachina
Huacachina
Ica Region, Peru
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: SATO South America Travels Online

Hi Sydney1204, just to let you know that I am from Amsterdam, the Netherlands. I got in touch with SATO through a Dutch friend who travelled with them and I did not have any issues being from Europe. Me and my family travelled to Peru with SATO and had an amazing time, I highly recommend this company. Hope this helps, Erik

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SATO South America Travels Online

Thank you Erik. your comment puts me in ease somewhat. how did you pay for the trip?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: SATO South America Travels Online

@Sydney1204; We paid with our credit card through an online system. It was called Skill if i am not mistaken. After the deposit payment we had to contact them for the second payment but this all worked fine. Hope this helps,

Erik

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SATO South America Travels Online

Great Peru experience with Peru Travels Online!!!

After getting some information on the TripAdvisor Forum, me and my wife booked an 10 day Peru vacation package with Peru Travels Online (www.perutravelsonline.com part of www.southamericatravelsonline.com). From our first interactions with Seppe, our travel consultant to the pre-travel documentation everything was excellent. As we did not have much experience with booking vacation packages online, this professional communication immediately put us at ease and I am glad to say that the same level of professionalism was applied to the entire trip. From our first pickup in Lima to the drop off at the airport, all services where impeccable. In Lima we were picked up by Juan and could not have felt more welcome. He immediately explained some things about Lima and on route to the hotel stopped so we could have quick snack. In Lima we stayed in the Allpa Hotel which is a modern hotel with a very central location in Miraflores. The next day we had a Lima city tour showing us some of the main sites this impressive city. We very much enjoyed the Lima city center (beautiful Main Square) and the afternoon walk through the neighborhood of Barranco (the sunset over the pacific ocean is wonderful!). From Lima we left for Ica with the Cruz Del Sur bus. The bus ride was very comfortable and gives you plenty of time to see the chaos of some parts of Lima and the fact that Lima is located in desert (something you just realize when getting outside of Lima). In Ica we got picked up and enjoyed the rest of the day at the hotel and the Huacachina Oasis. We stayed in the Villa Jazmin Hotel, a very nice and friendly hotel in a not so interesting city. The Oasis of Huacachina we visited in the late afternoon and we were surprised to see such a Sahara like natural oasis in Peru. We enjoyed a buggyride between the sand dunes saw one of the most beautiful sunsets I have experienced. The next day we got picked up and taken to Nazca for the flight over the Nazca Lines. We had to wait for a little at the airfield before we could embark our small aircraft. The flight was just amazing, they flew two times over each figure so that all passengers could see the lines which meant that the plane takes quite some turns (not for the weak stomachs…). Even though we read some warning about flying the Nazca Lines, I must say that the pilots and planes all looked very professional. From Nazca we returned to Lima for another night and the next day in the early morning got picked up and flew to Cusco. The flight from Lima to Cusco is another amazing flight that easily matches in beauty with a flight that I once took over the Himalaya Mountains. On arrival in Cusco my wife immediately felt the altitude and had a little headache. Boris who picked us up from the airport was so kind to buy her a bottle of water and just drinking some water already made her feel a lot better. We were taken to our hotel, the hotel Unyatambo and here they served us some coca tea. We took some ibuprofen and had a quick nap before setting off on our city tour (as Boris recommended). The nap and the coca tea did definitely make a difference and in the afternoon, apart from some shortness of breath when climbing stairs did not experience much issues with the altitude anymore. The city tour was great; especially the Sacsayman site was impressive and we wished we could have spent some more time here. The next day we visited the Sacred Valley; Pisac and Ollanta. Here we visited a market and the ruins in Ollanta. We had plenty of sunshine so really enjoyed this day being in the open air. The only thing we did not like that much were the “shop stops” at several stands to buy souvenirs. After the ruins of Ollanta (the steps take some effort) we were dropped at our hotel the Pakaritampu hotel. This hotel is located close to the train station in Ollanta and enjoys a layout of several bungalows in a large garden. The views from the hotel are amazing and staff was very friendly. We had a room on the second floor and from our room view on the Inca ruins. The next two days we spent at Machu Picchu; in the morning we were picked up and taken to the train station for the Vistadome train to Machu Picchu. The train drive was nothing less than spectacular as there are snowcapped mountains as well as other Inca sites to be seen along the route. On arrival in Agus Calientes we got picked up and taken to our hotel to check in. We stayed at the Cabana Hotel which is located on the main street of town. As we could not yet check in we dropped our luggage and our guide took us to the bus station. The bus drive takes about 25 minutes and is not for the fainthearted as the bus takes you over a road zigzagging your way up to Machu Picchu. On arrival at the site we had a nice lunch in the hotel at the entrance of the site and after lunch our guide took us for a guided tour. Our guide Luis was great; he explained about the history of the Incas, the building of Machu Picchu and also told us some interesting myths and stories about the Incas. The second day we climbed Huayna Picchu. Huayna Picchu the first day looked like a mountain impossible to climb but when we started the climb, with the amazing views constantly the climb passed by quickly and we were surprised to reach the top in just over an hour. When we reached the top the clouds also started opening up and showed us Machu Picchu to its full extend; what an unforgettable sight – without doubt more than worth the climb!!! In the afternoon we took the bus back down to Agus Calientes and had the train back to Ollanta where they picked us up and brought us back to Cusco. In Cusco we had another free day which we used to discover the San Blas neighborhood and the central market. The central market is not part of any tour but definitely worth the visit. The way the market is organized and the diversity of products is unbelievable. In the afternoon we took a hike to the White Christ statue above the city and this allowed us to see Cusco from another angle. The climb was not easy but the views of the snowcapped mountain at the end of the valley more than worth the effort. The last evening in Cusco we had dinner at La Ciccollina restaurant (recommended by Seppe) and we felt bad that we did not eat here before. Amazing service, original dishes and great food!!! The next day we flew back to Lima and the USA.

I just realized that I left a very long report of our trip, but as you can read this was an amazing vacation, wonderfully organized with very professional services, guides and drivers. Peru Travels Online did an amazing job in organizing this vacation for us and all their services were punctual, well explained and without exceptions of high standards. I will definitely use this company again and would recommend them to anyone!!!

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Allpa Hotel & Suites
Allpa Hotel & Suites
666 Reviews
Lima, Peru
Miraflores