We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please..

Fremont, ca
Level Contributor
118 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help please..

We are planning to visit South America, mainly Peru, Galapagos Islands, Brazil (Rio and Iguazu falls). In Peru we like to visit Machu Picchu, sacred valley, cuzco, may be short hike to Machchu picchu, and visit nazca lines. Don't know what to see in Galapagos islands, Rio but love to visit, and would like to spend two days in Iquazu falls.

Can you please help come up with the itinerary? thanks

Swamy

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help please..

That is a fair amount of ground to cover, you didn't mention how long you are planning to be here, that would be helpful information.

As your airfare will account for the largest portion of your budget, I would start by comparing flight prices to arrange the order of the major locations. A logical order would be Galapagos, Peru, Rio, or reverse order, but this may not be the most cost effective.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,277 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please..

What you want to cover in Peru will take you at least two weeks.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help please..

Wow - what an excellent trip! This is actually not that uncommon to do, but it will require a fair amount of time (probably 30 days or so) and will be quite costly. There is a simple route to take, and unless you want to spend quite a lot of time on busses, you are going to need to include quite a few flights along the way.

1) Arrive Quito,

2) Fly Galapagos - Cruise / Hotel

3) Fly Galapagos to Guayaquil to Lima

4) Then, Cusco, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu

5) Fly to Lima, travel to Nazca (will be 2 or 3 days)

6) LAN Flight from Lima to Foz de Iguazu (there are some direct flights depending on the day and date!! US$ 400 approx)

7) Tour Iguazu (both sides of the border)

8) Fly from Iguazu direct to Rio!

You could include Buenos Aires too, as this is an easy connection from Iguazu.

Enjoy your trip,

Paul - Totally Latin America

Fremont, ca
Level Contributor
118 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help please..

Thanks a lot for your valuable replies. We have 15 days to cover the above places. So I may have to cut short of some of the attractions, probably Galapagos island and nazca lines.(maybe next time, when we do Argentina, Chile)..

I would have itnerary like this..

1. Fly to Lima from San Francisco.

2. Take the connection flight to Cusco immediately

3. Spend a day at Cusco

4. Take train to Agua Calientes.

5. Hike to Machu picchu (i heard it is 2hrs each way).

6. Come back by bus

7. Don't know if it is worth spending a day in the surrounding area(what to do?) or head to sacred valley?

8. Sacred valley 1 or two days

9. Come back to Lima. and take connection flight to Iguazu falls

10. Spend two days visiting both the sides

11. Fly to Rio and spend two days before heading back to San Francisco.

I would appreciate if you please fine tune this itinerary..

thanks

Swamy

Edited: 21 December 2012, 19:47
Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
255 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help please..

I suggest rather than the 2 hour hike up to MP from AC you consider taking the bus to MP then do some hiking around MP like huayna picchu or sun gate. These will be more rewarding with scenery/views looking down on MP. The walk up you are going through forest and will not see much.

AC is a nice little town but other than MP there is not much to do there so I don't think you need an extra day there and would be better to spend extra time in sacred valley or cusco.

6. Re: Itinerary help please..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2013, 10:16