We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocoa Plantations

Sydney
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
Cocoa Plantations

Hi there,

I am interested in visiting a cocoa plantation whilst in Peru in April. Does anyone know of any or any organised tours that go to any?

With kind thanks, Claire

Houston
Level Contributor
786 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cocoa Plantations

I wasn't aware that chocolate products were cultivated in Perú.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cocoa Plantations

Yes cacao is grown in Peru. There was a huge chocolate pavillion at Mistura. OP maybe look thru the website of Apega for some contacts?

Sydney
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cocoa Plantations

Oh yes yes!! I actually work with Peruvian chocolate and think it is amazing!! Thanks you mlgb - I will have a look at the Apega website!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cocoa Plantations

Actually the chocolate production and export in Peru has been growing at a fantastic pace and its now considered one of the best cocoa in the world. We are actually exporting even to Switzerland. For more information check siicex.gob.pe/siicex/resources/sectoresprodu…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cocoa Plantations

As you may know chocolate grows in the rainforest, thus, you won't find any plantations around Cusco or the highlands. If you approach to Manu rainforest for a couple of days you'll find some plantations and wild cocoa trees. I've always thought the Manu farm tour was fantastic (I don’t remember the name of the little villages along the Manu road) it is an actual plantation owners home that is pretty much "lost in time" you are given a tour of the home as well as some of the outbuildings like the cookhouse and plantation workers homes. It isn't heavily advertised, they don't get lots of visitors just because it isn't marketed that way - but it is a wonderful tour! In my opinion!

6. Re: Cocoa Plantations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 06:17