We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bogotá, Colombia to Lima, Peru - Best Way

Melbourne
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bogotá, Colombia to Lima, Peru - Best Way

Just after some opinions. Should I catch a flight or bus? Flights are around $600 for mid-September I believe. I'm not sure about buses - is it not really an option? If so, does anyone know how much they might be and how long the travel takes? Thanks.

20 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bogotá, Colombia to Lima, Peru - Best Way

How much time do you have for this trip? If it's weeks, you can probably afford to spend several days getting to Lima by bus. But unless you're planning on breaking up this trip with overnight stops along the way, it's going to be pretty grueling, in my opinion, and you'll be too wiped out by the time you get to Lima to enjoy it.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
26 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bogotá, Colombia to Lima, Peru - Best Way

Just recently Cruz del Sur offers a bus service from Bogota to Lima for approx $160 Dollars one way and it takes two days. The bus leaves every Monday. Check www.cruzdelsur.com.pe or call to Peru +51 1 311 5050 to confirm prices and schedule. Good luck!

Walnut, California...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bogotá, Colombia to Lima, Peru - Best Way

Yeah the Cruz del Sur route seems to definitely be the quickest most affordable way to go about it. Its up to $190 now, or at least for the dates I'm looking in to. Happy travels!

jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bogotá, Colombia to Lima, Peru - Best Way

OR

Fly Bogota to Leticia, then take speedboat to Iquitos, then fly to Lima!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bogotá, Colombia to Lima, Peru - Best Way

Flights within South America tend to be expensive. Not a lot of competition. Nor is there much economy of scale. On flights out side the continent if an airline drops prices it can anticipate increased passenger load. But in South America most still couldn't afford the flight. Cruz del Sur is a long established bus company. With the odd exception their buses tend to be good. Still, it's a long one. I've done that route but never all at once. You know what they say about the journey being more important than the destination. If you had the time and the budget I could point out some nice places to break the trip. Zooming through you miss a lot.

Bogota, Colombia
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Bogotá, Colombia to Lima, Peru - Best Way

Hi there, acutally yeah, Could you point out a few places to break up the long land trip. Leaving Tuesday. CheersQ

Edited: 29 September 2013, 15:52
Huntington Beach...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Bogotá, Colombia to Lima, Peru - Best Way

I am planning a trip to So. America in Colombia, Peru, Chile, Argentina & Brazil.

Any tips on how to break the trip wil be awesome :)

Thanks.

New York City, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bogotá, Colombia to Lima, Peru - Best Way

Wondering how you managed the trip -- I am traveling from Colombia down to Peru then to Argentina so any tips would be great

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bogotá, Colombia to Lima, Peru - Best Way

Ormeño is the better know International bus company operating in this area.

Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Bogotá, Colombia to Lima, Peru - Best Way

Sunnifer2014 - Did you end up doing the Columbia/Peru/Argentina trip? If so, do you mind if I ask how? I am trying to plan a Columbia/Peru/Bolivia/Argentina trip. I know there are buses that link Peru-Bolivia-Argentina but have no idea about Columbia and the distance needed to travel. Any advice? Any assistance from anyone would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Reply to: Bogotá, Colombia to Lima, Peru - Best Way
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted