We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary for 18 days

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
274 posts
1 review
Save Topic
itinerary for 18 days

Day 1, arrive at Lima at 7:am. Sleep in Lima

Day 2, early bus to Nazca, night bus to Arequipa

Day 3, Arequipa, sleep in Arequipa

Day 4-5, Colca Canyon

Day 6, afternoon bus to Puno

Day 7, visit lake titicaca, sleep in Puno

Day 8. bus to Cuzco

Day 9-11, Cuzco and Sacred Valley

Day 12-14, Inca trail

Day 15, Machu Piccu, not sure if I should sleep in Aguas Calientes or go back to Cuzco

Day 16, Not sure if I should climb up to Huayna Piccu

Day 17, Cuzco, evening flight back to Lima

Day 18, fly home

I am not sure about day 2 and day 16.

Should I skip Nazca and spend the extra day in Arequipa?

If I spend an extra day in Machu Piccu, I only have one day in Lima. I might go back to Lima in my another trip to Quito. But that is still something up in the air. Is Huayna Piccu worth the extra day?

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Nazca
Nazca
Ica Region, Peru
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Colca Canyon
Colca Canyon
4,931 Reviews
Arequipa Region, Peru
Puno
Puno
Puno Region, Peru
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
Inca Trail
Inca Trail
1,950 Reviews
Machu Picchu, Peru
Aguas Calientes
Aguas Calientes
Machu Picchu, Peru
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary for 18 days

On Day 6 are you taking a bus to Puno from Arequipa? 4M Express www.4m-express.com has a shuttle service from Chivay (Colca Canyon) to Puno so rather than return to Arequipa with your tour on Day 5 you could go straight to Puno which saves time backtracking through Aguada Blanca Reserve multiple times.

If you are not sure about Nazca then I would suggest flying directly to Arequipa on Day 1, bump your itinerary up a day and save a couple days at the end for Lima and if you still want to see Nazca then do it as a day trip from Lima. You can also find overflights of the Nazca lines from Lima, Pisco, and Ica however the further away you are the more costly the flights.

Mentioned in this post
Puno
Puno
Puno Region, Peru
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Chivay
Chivay
Colca Canyon, Peru
Nazca
Nazca
Ica Region, Peru
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Pisco
Pisco
Ica Region, Peru
Ica
Ica
Ica Region, Peru
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary for 18 days

Why don't you start in Sacred Valley, Cusco, Inca Trail and then see how much time you have left. Other than the Inca Trail, most of these things can be booked as you go.

Mentioned in this post
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
Inca Trail
Inca Trail
1,950 Reviews
Machu Picchu, Peru
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
274 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary for 18 days

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Isn't the counter clockwise route better for acclimation before my inca trail tour?

Don't I need the huayna picchu permit before my trip?

If I climb huayna picchu the 4th day of my inca tour, will I miss a lot of the guided tour about Machu Picchu?

If I fly to Arequipa the first day, the flight will arrive around 10am, it will be around noon after checking into hotel. I will only have half a day in Arequipa. Is it enough time?

Mentioned in this post
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Nelson, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary for 18 days

I just got back a couple days ago from a 17 day trip to Peru. We had close to the exact itinerary as yours. It was seamless and perfect! I would agree with JudoKast that if you aren't positive you want to fly the Nazca lines .. then just fly to Arequipa as it is a great place to walk around (make sure you go to the Monestary Santa Catalina! was one of my highlights). We did enjoy the Nazca lines though.

I would agree with your thoughts of doing it as your itinerary states - this way you are acclimatizing which is very important for the Inca trail. We did the 4 day Inca trail with a nice full day at Machu Picchu, then stayed in Aguas Calientes overnight and back up the next day for Huayna Picchu (and we did the 4hr loop to the Temple of the Moon which I recommend!) which was really nice. It was cloudy the first day and sunny the second day at Machu Picchu which was nice to see it in both conditions. I was very happy to have two days up there and not rush the tour of Machu Picchu on the first day.

Hope this helps! enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Nazca
Nazca
Ica Region, Peru
Inca Trail
Inca Trail
1,950 Reviews
Machu Picchu, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Aguas Calientes
Aguas Calientes
Machu Picchu, Peru
Huayna Picchu
Huayna Picchu
3,802 Reviews
Machu Picchu, Peru
Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary for 18 days

My suggestions based on doing my own planning:

Day 2 - there is a way to do Lima > Paracas (ballestas islands tour)> Nazca (flight) all in one day. (Paracas is sorta on the way to Nazca). If you haven't looked into Ballestas being part of your trip, it can easily be incorporated without losing time assuming that it's something that interests you and fits budget, etc.

Day 17 - my understanding is that there are no evening flights from Cusco to Lima due to visibility regulations. Take a look at available flights for that day to see what the latest available is.

The main trade-off in your itinerar versus my own (i'm going in May) is that you're doing Titicaca+Colca instead of the Amazon Jungle. I considered which of the two to do and am leaning towards the jungle myself, but it's really a toss-up.

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Paracas
Paracas
Ica Region, Peru
Nazca
Nazca
Ica Region, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
6. Re: itinerary for 18 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2014, 07:16