We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cameras on the Inca Trail

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Cameras on the Inca Trail

So, I have a DSLR which I plan on taking to Peru, however, I'm second-guessing whether I should take it along on my Inca Trail trek as the weight of the camera along with the lenses will be considerable ( even just taking 2 lenses), or if I should just used the SLR for the rest of the trip, but use a compact camera for the Inca Trail. I know it seems odd to use the compact for this stunning trek, but again the less weight the better one would think.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,520 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cameras on the Inca Trail

You should only carry with you a day pack through out the Inca Trail.

If your camera is a preferred item, take it with you.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cameras on the Inca Trail

A camera of some kind is a must have for me. So I will take it the compact will be the better choice.. kind of what I figured, lol. Thank you! :)

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cameras on the Inca Trail

You may want to consider hiring a porter. I am afraid you may regret not having your camera on this portion of your Peru trip.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cameras on the Inca Trail

Note that the porter will not be with you along the trail -- so you will need to carry whatever camera gear you might want for taking pictures along the trail.

We have gotten some stellar photos in our travels with our small Canon compact cameras. I love being able to pull the camera out of my pocket at a moment's notice & fire off a shot. Bring an extra (fully charged) camera battery with you for the trek.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cameras on the Inca Trail

Hey Yamputours, I do have a porter, but as readhead47 has mentioned, the porter isn't with me along the trail, thus I wouldn't have access to it unless I carry it myself. It's a matter of which I would regret more, not having my SLR and just having a compact camera, OR, having my SLR but having to carry it along with lenses along with my day pack and all that extra weight for the long trek.

I'd probably bring at least 2-3 spare batteries with me. I take a LOT of photos.

Thanks guys! :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cameras on the Inca Trail

Why have a DSLR if you aren't going to take it on your most amazing journeys? I say bring it and suffer for your photography!

Of course i'm a bit biased seeing how i tend to hike way too far with way too much gear. But the photos are totally worth it.. i think... :)

i'm actually in the same boat as you, only with my tripod, i'm bringing it, but can't decide if i should give it to porter or carry it along myself. so far i've decided i'll carry it first day and if i'm totally dead from doing so, i'll give it to the porter for the tougher days.

Alexandria, Va
Level Contributor
202 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cameras on the Inca Trail

Halilee- I am an amateur photog as well, and I have a feeling you might regret not bringing the extra lenses. I'll carry mine, although I will probably have my boyfriend carry it sometimes as well. I can't imagine going to someplace so fabulous and only having my point-and-shoot (which I am also bringing). I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities where the bigger zoom lenses will be wanted.

It depends what is important to you. Wildlife and nature photography are a big part of why I travel, so I would be lost without my zooms.

We are leaving in a few weeks too - have a great trip!

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cameras on the Inca Trail

So, are you going to carry your SLR and lenses in your backpack then? I agree, I might regret it, but on the flip side, 1/3 of my back ( the lower portion) is fused, so I also have to be thoughtful of how much weight I can carry over long periods of time on a strenuous trek. Usually I do have the hubby with me to carry most of my daypack stuff for me while I just carry my camera and lenses, but he won't be with me on this trip so I'll have to carry everything myself. Really difficult decision, lol.

Kaudrey, how long will you be there for? When do you leave? We will be there from May 14-June 3rd. You went with SAS travel as well didn't you? What day do you leave for your trek?

Edited: 22 April 2013, 19:33
Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cameras on the Inca Trail

I assume you want your SLR with you once you're at MP itself? If so, you'll be getting your porter to carry it if you don't carry it yourself (otherwise, how is it getting to MP?)

From what I've read, it sounds like Day 1 of the trek is the "easy day", so a good day to try out carrying extra stuff. You ARE stuck with it for the whole day, but can give it to the porter next day if it ends up being too much. Or do it vice versa, no camera first day and if you feel good, carry it second day.

An option is also to only carry one your lenses on the camera and leave other with porter, also to think if there is any other extra weight you can drop from your pack to accomodate camera. Also depends on how heavy your camera and lenses are.

My answer to the weight issue it usually to carry my camera gear (in a camera backpack) and virtually nothing else. I've done some 10k+ mountain day hikes, but i've never done multi-day hikes, so this'll be new to me.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 21:52
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,144 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cameras on the Inca Trail

I've never hiked the Inca Trail, but have been on several multi-day backpacking trips. Rule #1 is leave half of what you think you need behind. Even something that seems light really adds up after a day or two at 12,000 feet. Not sure if it'll be easier to sacrifice the camera or something else you're carrying, but I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the trip more by carrying less.