We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight purchase warning-Buying online

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Flight purchase warning-Buying online

Hi folks. If you purchase online from a site like this one (Trip Advisor or a similar site), often there are multiple sites searched. The prices are usually the same for different sites. Whatever you do, DO NOT opt to purchase from CheapOair. We figured one was as good as any other and were charged 8 times on our last purchase round trip HOU to LIM in July.

At the airport, the staff at American Airlines stated that this is not an uncommon story as well as the experiences of folks who have multiple flights but one is not included. (Example: Hou to Panama City to Lima to Quito--maybe the flight between Panama and Lima is not included--even though you paid for the entire journey and have your receipts--there is no record at the airline.)

Please, pass the word on so that others can beware.

(On a side note: There's a lotttt of cute guys in Perú. If you are a single woman, be extra aware of the risk of bringing home a wedding ring as a souviner. I met a woman in church this week that just did that--same as me. Her father isn't particularly happy. hahaha)

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight purchase warning-Buying online

Yep -- Cheapoair is bad news. In our case they baited and switched and refused to give back the money.

montreal
Level Contributor
203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight purchase warning-Buying online

i always using cheap tickets.com never had any problems

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight purchase warning-Buying online

Fromk the UK i use either Skyscanner or Opodo for my flight search. You've gotta be careful booking the right flights out of the many choices though, cos once done making changes can be a pain!

Always read the small print and try to buy all the flights on 1 ticket.

Edited: 04 August 2013, 09:56
Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight purchase warning-Buying online

Chris, there is no small print stating that they are gonna charge you 8 times for the same flight. This isn't about not paying attention or making changes--this is about being ripped off.

The folks at the counter at American told me that there was a recent mission trip with a group of young folks--8 of them going to the Middle East that were stranded in an airport in Europe because of not all the legs of the trip were booked by Cheapoair. The staff was still visibly angry about the situation caused by such a crappy company.

BTW--You're currently allowed more baggage weight when flying with Copa, Taca, or AeroMexico to Lima (or anywhere apparently).

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight purchase warning-Buying online

Yes Emintx, there are some rip off companies to watch out for. Cheapo air is one.

Skyscanner is a good company, and so is Opodo, but even with these legit companies i noticed that it's still important to read all the small print and stuff.

Regards.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight purchase warning-Buying online

Travelocity, Expedia still do the job. Even if someone is showing a cheaper price this is no reason to jump ship.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight purchase warning-Buying online

Emintx, I think you should post this on the Air Travel forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight purchase warning-Buying online

I agree with Vladchan. Our last couple of big trips have required multi-destination flights. The one I am planning for next August will also be a multi-destination trip. For multi-destination trips I have always found Expedia to be the best site. I seem to get them most options and ultimately the lowest available prices from them. If I am doing straight round trip planning or just an open jaw (ie. flying from home to airport A and back home from airport B) then I will check a number of other sites. I actually only remember one trip I ever took in which Expedia was underpriced enough to make me chose another site for booking.

9. Re: Flight purchase warning-Buying online

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 05:16