We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack in August for Lima and Machu Picchu

Tampa, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
What to pack in August for Lima and Machu Picchu

I'm going last week of August/first week of September. My question is, what to pack for a trip from Lima to Machu Picchu in late August? How thick of a jacket should I take or are layers and a rain jacket sufficient?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack in August for Lima and Machu Picchu

www.senamhi.gob.pe for the weather in different regions.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack in August for Lima and Machu Picchu

For MP :

You should bring :

02 pair of trekking sneakers and plenty of socks

Bug repellent

Sun screen

Dark glasses (shades)

Rain coat or rain poncho

Light clothing for the day and warm for the night.

Trekking pants (the ones you unzip for shorts)

Hat or sun cap

Water bottle

Sleeping bag (unless you rent one from the company)

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,182 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack in August for Lima and Machu Picchu

This list is good if you are doing a hiking trip. If just doing ordinary tourist stuff & staying in hotels, omit the sleeping bag, and you don't need trekking shoes (one pair of good walking shoes is good enough).

www.theoptimistictraveler.com

San Diego...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack in August for Lima and Machu Picchu

I am going to Lima and Machu Picchu at the very same time and my research has led me to believe that layers are the best. The temperatures will be from high 80's in Lima to low 40's in Machu Picchu at night. Lucky for us, we are going in the dry season so just a light poncho will do for raingear--just in case.

San Francisco...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack in August for Lima and Machu Picchu

Cusco is like San Francisco weather. A light fleece jacket will do and Buy all your cold gear in Cusco, and bring them home for souvenirs . And bring extra bag for it, that was our mistake we didn't allocate space for souvenirs. The alpaca wool sweaters are the best, light warm and cheap. Sweaters are 35 or 40 soles or $15, scarfs $4, socks $2. If youre staying at Cusco, buy all your stuff at Mercado Artesenal - it was recommended by our guide. prices are half than those in Pisac Market or Plaza the armas. It's a 3 or 5 soles taxi ride from Plaza Armas. Exchange rate last week when we were there was 1USD is 2.73 soles.

6. Re: What to pack in August for Lima and Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 07:16