We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxishot

California
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Oxishot

Me and 2 of my buddies are in cusco right now and is having difficulties with the altitude. We got him a can if the green oxishot. He's takin 2 cycles of 3 bursts. What is recommended on the max he can take. We leave to Machu Pichu in morning n are hoping he ok. Shud we get more can? What's advisable? Thanks

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxishot

Read #6 about its effectiveness: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294314-i3023-k500… It's pretty much useless.

Sounds to me like your friend might need a doctor.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oxishot

The stuff is worthless. It provides a few seconds of oxygen. If you are going to MP, I guess by train, you will be going down in altitude. When you get back to Cuzco if the problems persist..consider moving to Ollytaytambo which is lower. BTW.. what are the symptoms he is having?

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oxishot

It's impossible to overdose on hairspray can model oxygen ... or have a lasting effect . Total oxygen uptake at rest starts from around 150 liters per hour for an average sized person , can will hold a few liters and delivery is far from perfect. ( Yes , I do this for a living , and wish I could let you hear the peals of laughter in the ICU coffee room when I showed a similar can I bought for a write up on oxygen & altitude )

See a doc , get real oxygen or even a session in a pressure chamber ( http://korta.nu/chambercusco ) before going down. Aguas Calientes at 2000 meters should be guaranteed relief after the docs release your friend.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oxishot

I agree, your friend should be seen by a doctor. Actually, since your post was yesterday -- by now, he will have either seen a doctor, or maybe he got better when going to lower altitude of Machu Picchu.

For those in need: many hotels in Cusco & other high altitude areas like Puno will have oxygen available for guests who need it (large tanks, not "shots").

Altitude effects individuals differently. That's why so many of us on the forum warn about doing all you can to lessen the chance of altitude-related problems. A young healthy person who is fit & athletic might be sicker from altitude than an elderly tourist with many health problems! Even some people who have been OK at altitude on a previous trip might get sick on another one.

California
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oxishot

Thank you all gor the replies. My buddy did get better. At least we know now bout the hair spray cans lol. We made it to Machu Pichu without problems. Was great. Thanks again

Santiago, Chile
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Oxishot

I am a Peruvian and have been 13 times to Cuzco and the secret to avoid altitude sickness is:

- Arrive in the first flight to Cuzco early if possible!

- Go strait to your hotel

- Drink a huge cup of Mate de Coca (Coca tea) or as much as you can - all hotel offer this upon arrival!

- Drink lots of water

- Go to your room and rest or sleep and don't do anything. Don't think about going strait outside to see the city

- Have a light soup for lunch. Don't eat too much! You have to keep your stomach light! Drink some more Mate de Coca

- Take it easy and start with the tour to the ruins close to the city - most tours start at 14.00 or 15.00 hrs: Sacsayhuaman, Pucapucara, Tambomachay, etc... take it easy.. walk slowly.. don't run or hurry!!!

- Take a light dinner - go to bed early and keep on drinking mate de coca!!

- Try to do the tour to the Sacred Valley the next day!

That's the secret!!!

Edited: 11 March 2014, 16:26
Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oxishot

Lots of water : popular myth , no proven or logical effect . You are trying to prevent edema , i.e. excess of fluid in the tissues , by pushing in more fluids in to the the system . On top of that binging on WATER only is a classic way to produce edema , from salt balance disruption : http://korta.nu/myths

Altitude sickness is best prevented by sleeping lower : ideally a night or two in Arequipa first , second best in Sacred Valley. Medicating with Diamox has a proven effect for most when started before flying in , and uses the the same mechanism as natural acclimatization. Not a guarantee , but I can't recall seeing anyone in Leh with significant symptoms after using Diamox preventively.

8. Re: Oxishot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 05:18