We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruz del Sur - don't bother

Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Cruz del Sur - don't bother

So we decided to leave our reviews until the end of the trip as we were taking numerous buses across the South America continent. We can safely say that our Cruz del Sur exp was the worst. We travelled with them from Lima to Bogota, 3 days and 3 nights! Paid exorbitantly (we know now) for a full cama service and got semi cama. The teller at the terminal explained all meals were included....this was not the case. We were not given anything whatsoever. The drivers were so rude. They stopped once per day and you never knew when this was going to be..I guess whenever they were hungry. The seats were not comfortable at all and only reclined slightly. Also they said they provided blankets...ya right! This was the worst bus we took. We took buses in Bolivia that were a better standard. Just want to put this out there so other travellers can make an informed decision and not get conned as we did by this company. Longest most miserable journey ever.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruz del Sur - don't bother

I wouldn't want to do a trip that long non stop. Did your tickets say cama or mention meals? Anything not in writing doesn't count. Did the company give any explanation for the difference? For what it's worth, Cruz gets pretty good reviews on shorter runs.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruz del Sur - don't bother

Recently took Cama VIP from Ayacucho to to Lima. Plush seats that recline 160 degrees (not full flat bed), nonstop through the night, with airline type meal on boarding. Attentive hostess and the bus got in an hour early. Have take them on previous trips with no problem, but would not consider doing Lima-Bogota without stopping! The website makes it perfectly clear that they don't run the suites on the international service.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruz del Sur - don't bother

I would love to know which Bolivian bus that was.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,562 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruz del Sur - don't bother

Coming from Australia all the way to South America and then getting on a none stop bus from Lima straight to Bogota does not lookmlike a good idea to me at all.

You missed visiting the whole of the North of Peru plus all of Ecuador, including the Galapagos Islands !

I am not surprised you did not enjoyed your trip.

Maybe you even missed Cusco and Machu Picchu ?

5. Re: Cruz del Sur - don't bother

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 06:22