We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery options in the SV and MP area

Vancouver
Level Contributor
158 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery options in the SV and MP area

Hi everyone

Our family is thinking of planning a 15 days trip to see the MP and the Iguaza falls. We are vegetarians so we usually travel with a hot plate and cook some veggies/noodles. This would be our first trip to South America, so I am not sure what grocery store options are like. Would it be possible to find fruit/veggie/bread in small towns in the sacred valley area?

Thanks

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery options in the SV and MP area

Of course. Can't think of a place on the planet that doesn't have those items. BTW... you can find lots of vegetarian options on menus...especially in places that cater to tourists.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery options in the SV and MP area

The main vegetable and fruit market in the SV is located in Urubamba, which is the capital city. They are fresh and very cheap.

Check the hotel reviews on this forum as you have several hotel options, including cottage rentals which include a kitchen so you can cook your vegetarian food.

As said before, you will always find vegetarian options at most restaurants, I know, I have a vegetarian daughter.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery options in the SV and MP area

There are many places to buy fruit and veg throughout the valley, and anywhere else in Peru. Don't forget to peel or cook properly what you are going to eat, as un-clean fruit and veg in Peru are probably the number 1 source for up-set stomachs!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
158 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery options in the SV and MP area

Thanks for all your input!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
158 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery options in the SV and MP area

Hi again, I think we would like to stay in Ollaytantambo since it seems very convenient and close to train station. Would there be grocery stores in this town as well?

Also, how can I make sure the fruits and veggies are clean? So washing it with water won't be enough? Would I be able to eat the skin of a potato?

Thanks!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery options in the SV and MP area

You will find a street market close to the main Olly Plaza.

Many small shops are also available.

Wash your veggies and fruit well. Peel the fruit and cook the veggies for extra safety.

7. Re: Grocery options in the SV and MP area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 05:18