We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 2014 Itinerary

San Diego
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Topic
May 2014 Itinerary

Here is our itinerary, four ladies in the early 60s. Please advise if we should change anything.

Day 1: Arrive from LAX to Cuzco via Lima, then transfer directly to Ollantaytambo

Day 2: Ollantaytambo ruins and Moray, Maras and Salinas

Day 3: Machu Picchu and returning to Ollantaytambo

Day 4: Return to Cuzco with stop at Pisac

Day 5: Sightseeing in Cuzco

Day 6: Go back to Lima

Day 7: Sightseeing in Lima

Day 8: Flight back to LAX

Thank you.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 2014 Itinerary

Looks pretty good to me! Try to time the Pisac market for Sunday if possible so you can see the mayors.

I would rather do Pisac as a roundtrip from Cusco and not a stopover. A better stop going back between Olly/Cusco is the group of Chinchero/ Moray/Salineras.

Edited: 22 October 2013, 18:33
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: May 2014 Itinerary

I think it's a good trip if you have only 8 days. Will you go by car or by public transport?

Maect

www.unmundoparaviajarlo.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,772 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 2014 Itinerary

It's short on time on Cusco but otherwise Ok. If you don't have more time, personally if skip the day in Lima so I could have an extra day on Cusco.

San Diego
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: May 2014 Itinerary

Thanks you all for your advices. Our hotel in Ollantaytambo will pick us up at Cusco airport and take us back to Cusco. We will take the train and bus to Machu Picchu. I personally would like to stay more in Cusco; but one of my friends would like to spend some time in Lima.

In Lima, I can only find El Pardo Double Tree and Hilton Lima Miraflores that have a room with two queen beds for the 4 of us. Do you know any other good hotel?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
185 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May 2014 Itinerary

I think you might make better use of your time if you consider the following:

1. Get to Cusco and to Ollantaytambo - if you feel up to it, have a tour there or rest for the rest of the day

2. Get the tour of Ollanta if you did not yesterday (you are back-tracking a bit if you go to Maras/Moray this day) Instead, consider going directly to Machu Picchu in the afternoon - have an opportunity to enter the Citadel for the afternoon and sunset lighting. Overnight in Aguas Calientes and go up again next morning for Sunrise and a possible hike up Huayna Picchu (additional entrance required)

3. Morning at Machu Picchu and return to the Sacred Valley - overnight here (it is wonderful)

4. Touring in the Valley included Pisaq

5. To Cusco via Maras/Moray/Chincero - overnight in Cusco

6. Cusco all day touring

7. Enjoy Cusco in the morning and fly back to Lima - begin touring

8. If you have a late night flight, you have ALL DAY to see more of Lima - you could actually give yourself more time in the Andes if you fly bak to Lima on Day 8 and plenty of time to tour Lima if your flight is at night.

Just my two cents.

San Diego
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: May 2014 Itinerary

Thanks you all for your advices. Our hotel in Ollantaytambo will pick us up at Cusco airport and take us back to Cusco. We will take the train and bus to Machu Picchu. I personally would like to stay more in Cusco; but one of my friends would like to spend some time in Lima.

In Lima, I can only find El Pardo Double Tree and Hilton Lima Miraflores that have a room with two queen beds for the 4 of us. Do you know any other good hotel?

San Diego
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: May 2014 Itinerary

Ancientsummit, I'm considering your option of visiting MP in the afternoon and next morning. One of my friends is fit but has bad knees; she cannot sit too long during the flight. Do you think she can do Huyana Picchu?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
185 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May 2014 Itinerary

If you are traveling with an experienced guide, they will be able to tell who can and cannot do it. Huayna Picchu is not a very long hike but it is a very steep hike. You MUST purchase the Huayna Picchu entrances at the same time you get your Machu Picchu entrances and they are not very expensive. Buy the entrances anyway and if one of you cannot go, you can certainly enjoy the Citadel and meet up again in a few hours. We have done this many times.

If you do not buy your HP entrances at the same time as the MP entrances, and any of you decide you want to climb, you will have to re-purchase complete tickets and lose the original ticket. Hope I am explaining this.

9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: May 2014 Itinerary

Maybe Lima 511 hostel. They have a room for 5 or 6

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May 2014 Itinerary

Going two days means two admissions at over $50 pp and two $18 bus trips. The other thing to consider is that weather in the afternoons often means rain. Time lost checking into another hotel.

I would stick with the original option on a short trip.