We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January

Austin, Texas
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
January

A friend and I are planning a trip to Peru during the first weeks of January. How much would the "Rainy" season effect our travels & adventures? What would be the best recommend way to experience Machu Picchu?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January

You could have delayed and or cancelled flights to Cusco if its raining.

Really nothing more but getting wet. Buy a rain poncho just in case.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January

A trip to Machu Picchu could also be affected if there is a slide that stops the train service.

If you have the time, I would say to travel to Aguas Calientes the day prior to visiting Machu Picchu, this will either allow you to get an early start, or some extra sleep that day, after visiting Machu Picchu you could take an evening train back to Ollantaytambo/Pisac.

Cusco
Level Contributor
250 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January

All the above are possibilities. Make sure your schedule is not so tight that one of them would mean you miss Machu Picchu

Austin, Texas
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January

Thanks, All! This makes me feel great about the trip. What about hiking wise? Could we do any hikes? We were talking with a tour group and they indicated much would be in the car. We would like to ensure we get some good activity and make the most of Machu Picchu. We would have about 3 - 4 days. Recommendations for an active but quick trip - we want to see everything!

Thanks so much,

Cam

Edited: 10 December 2013, 17:50
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January

If it isn't too wet, there is a nice walk down from the PIsac Ruins, into the village. You can easily spend a good half day there doing several trail legs, or a bit less time if you walk straight. down. (Some people walk up as well as down but I think it's better to be dropped off at the top and start there). You can hire a guide at the entry, or do it on your own.

You should also spend the entire day at Machu Picchu, you can do the walk to the Sun Gate without a special ticket, or you can buy in advance the ticket to Huayna Picchu, as a package deal with your entry fee. However that one is a bit riskier in wet weather.

Austin, Texas
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January

Thanks!! We are also considering this option:

Day one Cusco – Ollantaytambo – Abra Málaga – Santa Maria VIA BIKE

Day two Santa Maria – Inka Jungle – Santa Teresa - WALK

Day three Santa Teresa – Hidroelectrica –Aguas Calientes (hiking) - HIKE

Day four Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu - Cusco - HIKE Huayna Picchu

GOOD???

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January

I think most of us will tell you not to do the Inka Jungle/Santa Teresa route in the rainy season. There have been many landslides and even fatal accidents on that route.

Just take the train to Aguas Calientes, and do your day hikes inside Machu Picchu

Quilmes, Argentina
Level Contributor
27 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January

I have seen that several agencies offer the jungle trek even in the

rainy season, and if they are local agencies I´d say they are

knowledgeable enough. They do insist that you do the 3 night/

4 day trek, as this one avoids the dangerous road between

Sta. María and Santa Teresa by hiking up and down a path

along the river. And the Abra Malaga road is all paved and

is not affected by landslides so cycling it will be fine, though wet!

You can always wait until arriving in Cuzco, check out the weather and then book your trek.

I´m also going to MP in January and am considering this trek.

Hope you have a lovely trip!

9. Re: January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2014, 05:17