We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuzco to Puno in two days...

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Cuzco to Puno in two days...

I was wondering if taking the train from Cuzco to Puno on a Friday, spending the night in Puno, touring Lake Titicaca on Saturday, and then flying out of JUL on the Saturday 7:45pm flight in order to catch the 1am out of Lima on Sunday is a reasonable scenario? I am limited by when the train is running; I much rather go to Puno on Thursday, but no train. Of course I could fly, but I think taking the train would be really lovely. Can not go on Wednesday, does not work with our schedule.

Does the Saturday evening flight ever get cancelled? Or is it pretty reasonable to take the last flight out of JUL? Thank you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,766 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuzco to Puno in two days...

I guess it's possible, but you are really pushing the schedule. First, the train is slow and expensive. You can get the same scenery in less time and for a lot less money on one of the tourist bus services like Inka Express. And you get to stop along the way. It's like a day long sightseeing tour that will get you into Puno around 5:00.

The next day you can do a one day boat tour, but catching a 7:45 flight is pushing it. You'll be back at the dock around 3:00 or so. But then you'll need to go back to your hotel to collect your luggage and then it's like 45-60 minutes by taxi to Juliaca where the airport is. And flights can always be cancelled so if anything that whole day goes wrong, you miss your international flight.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuzco to Puno in two days...

Thank you for your opinion. Perhaps a private boat tour in the morning might give us more flexibility. Sounds like it is doable. I rather be slightly rushed than miss out on Lake Titicaca entirely.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,766 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuzco to Puno in two days...

There are half day boat tours of Lake Titicaca that will take you to Uros, but obviously you don't see anywhere near as much. The best parts are the islands a little further out like Taquile and Amanti. Uros is pretty touristy. Fun, but not really seeing the lake. But if that's all your schedule allows, you can do it.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 22:43
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuzco to Puno in two days...

Thank you for the info. I will do a little more research on the area.

5. Re: Cuzco to Puno in two days...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:18