We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking in Peru at low altitude

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trekking in Peru at low altitude

On a previous visit to Peru we visited Cusco, Machu Pichu, Puno, and Lake Titicaca and loved it. However we (mainly me) had quite bad problems with altitude for the first few days, although after about 4 days things improved. We are planning to spend some time in Ecuador in April, finishing with 2 days around Quito (2,800m).

We are then looking for a few days easy trekking in Peru at low altitude, no more that 3,000m, before going on to Titicaca and La Paz (3,800m). I have spent some time looking for low elevation treks but most seem to go well over 4,000m. I know the Andes are high, but then so are the Alps and the Himalayas, where there is some great low level trekking, so I feel it must also be possible in Peru.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,290 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trekking in Peru at low altitude

Unless you hike on the Coast or the Jungle I doubt you will find any below 3200 meters.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,282 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trekking in Peru at low altitude

A lower altitude trek is Gran Vilaya at Chachapoyas, Northern Peru. Mostly in the cloudforest, with impressive ruins in the area.

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trekking in Peru at low altitude

Thanks for that - it looks good.

4. Re: Trekking in Peru at low altitude

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 06:19