I'm planning to spend my holiday in south america with a friend. It's the first time for me on the continent. Travel time is 3-4 weeks in June/July.
As of now I only have a very rough idea, which is why I'm writing here to get some of your experience and ideas along the way :)
Now here is a bunch of questions we already have:
- What do you think are the must-see/do's along the way? If we are into nature, hiking and national parks? Does someone maybe know route descriptions which cover this already?
- Is it enough time for this distance?
- We are not yet sure where to end the trip La Paz/Cusco/Lima. What do you think what is best to fly back to Europe and also in therms of things to see along the way? Is there alot between La Paz and Lima?
- How is the best way to do this trip? Are there buses and are they good? Can you reach also more remote National Parks with them? Or better with a hire car? Is it possible to rent a car in Chile/Argentina and return it in Peru/Bolivia and at what price?
- I know our summer is winter in south america. But is it still a good idea to travel then and what to expect in therms of temperatures?
- Will we need any special vaccination for this region?
- Is it hard to zig-zag the Chile-Argentinian border? In therms of time, cost and visas?
- Last but not least, I don't speak spanish. Is this a big problem or do most people understand english? Or will it be necessary for me to get at least crash course in spanish?
CheersEdited: 08 April 2014, 08:26