We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help for planning tour through Peru, Bolivia and Chile

Munich, Germany
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Need help for planning tour through Peru, Bolivia and Chile

Hi there,

My friend and I want to travel South America in July, covering Peru, Bolivia and Chile....

We booked a tour to Maccu Pichu already as well as a trip to the Easter Islands. Between these two we've got 23 days to travel from Cuzco to Santiago de Chile and these are the things we'd like to do/see on the way:

Peru:

1) Colca Canyon

Bolivia:

2) La Paz

3) Tiwanaku (Mountain Biking)

4) Tupiza

5) Sucre

6) Potosi

7) Salar de Uyuni

Chile:

8) Lauca National Park

9) Atacama Dessert

I read through different threads but still would like to ask you for help on this.

Now my questions:

1) Is the time sufficient to do all these things in 23 days? I calculated one day buffer before flying out to the Easter Islands from Santiago.

2) Would you book this as a complete individual tour with a tour operator (if yes, can you recommend one?).

3) Or does it make sense to do seperate tours like one to Colca Canyon, one around La Paz, one around Atacame dessert and travel by bus to the major spots?

Thanks a lot for your help..... much appreciated.

Cheers

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help for planning tour through Peru, Bolivia and Chile

I suggest you post separate questions in the different forums for each place you plan to visit.

That said, visiting the Colca Canyon involves backtracking so you should give that a miss. Travel overland from Cusco to La Paz, then fly to Sucre, bus to Potosí and on to Uyuni. Take a Salar tour from there but get dropped off in San Pedro de Atacama at the end of it. Fly from Calama to Santiago in time for your Easter Island segment. That way you should just about fit it in in three weeks.

London
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help for planning tour through Peru, Bolivia and Chile

Leave out. Colca. Canyon. It is a bi diversions and you do not. Have enough time. You have got Tupiza in the wrong order. We flew from LP to Sucre and then got the bus to Tupiza via Potosi. We then got a tour to the Salar de Uyuni. We actually returned to Tupiza after Uyuni as we were heading south to Argentina but most people will get a share taxi to San Pedro and then on to Calama, Santaigo etc. From there.

In answer to you specific questions:

1. Just about enough time but 4-5 days more would be better.

2. No. Too expensive to do it that way and they add very little, if anything to the experience

3. Individual tours are easily arranged as are buses between the various towns. We found Kanoo tours in La Paz to be very helpful when we popped into there offices. Didn't actually get them to arrange any tours though. For our trip to the Salar we used Tupiza Tpurs who I would highly recommend - great service.

3. Re: Need help for planning tour through Peru, Bolivia and Chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 06:16