We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteering in Peru

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Volunteering in Peru

Hi all :)

My boyfriend and I are thinking about volunteering in Peru (Preferably around Cuzco) late November/December and was wondering if you had any suggestions. I've looked at a few places but to be honest your word would be much more useful than a web-page. I'm looking for low/no-cost places as feel the 1500$ for a few weeks is a little ridiculous and would rather deal strait with the source if possible. Felxible time would be great too, we aren't able to go long (as both have to get back to uni and also visit family in the time we have off).

Hope you can all help me out :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
107 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteering in Peru

You may want to look into this:

The time commitment may be more than what you're willing to give, however they may be able to make some other recommendations for you.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,643 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteering in Peru

Check here :

Level Contributor
3,130 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteering in Peru

Whilst i applaud you for seeking to volunteer, To be frank, you are not going to get any genuine "volunteer" projects lasting just a few weeks. If you really want to make a difference you would need to spend much, much longer there and have skills that are needed by the local communities, medicine, teaching, nutrition, engineering. Otherwise you are I danger of just lining the pockets of those who run the many "voluntourism" projects. You are right to try and avoid those organisations that charge for volunteering. Many, of these projects, rather than help the communities, can often have a negative impact.

If you do decide on paying to vounteer, you really need to do some thorough research on the organisations concerned.

There are ways to help the local communities. Spend your money in homestays rather than hotels ( I think Amanwaki mentioned by cavvygirl above offers home stays) Eat in local markets and smaller restaurants to support the local economy - a win, win because you will usually get much better and much cheaper food than the tourist restaurants.

Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
209 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteering in Peru

We volunteered in 2008 through United Planet and really enjoyed it. It wasn't no-cost as you suggested but they are a non-profit and you can deduct the fees as a charitable contribution. Since it was our first trip abroad we really appreciated that they set everything up, gave us a host family to stay with, and organized some group activities on the weekends. We volunteered for half-days at an after-school program, mornings were spent getting Spanish lessons from college students. I really enjoyed it. But if you're looking to book something yourself, try A.M.A.S. This is the actual after-school center that we volunteered at, so perhaps you can volunteer directly through them. Good luck and hope you enjoy your trip! http://amascusco.org/projects-and-campaigns

Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
209 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteering in Peru

Try also San Blas Spanish School. This is the school where we received our lessons. Looks like our host family is still hosting because she is in some of the pictures as well :) http://www.spanishschoolperu.com/index.php

Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volunteering in Peru

You can also check with your church to see if there are any missionaries affiliated with them that are in Perú. The church that I attend has a family that welcomes any volunteers for any length of time--there are always projects that they are in the middle of.

Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Volunteering in Peru

Check https://www.abroaderview.org Non Profit Charity they have greta programs

8. Re: Volunteering in Peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 07:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now