We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru and Galapagos in 3 weeks? on a budget?!

england
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Peru and Galapagos in 3 weeks? on a budget?!

hello!

me and my mate (both late 20's/early 30's) are planning a trip to Peru. We'd be including the Inca Trail hike, Machu Picchu, Lima and Cusco. and Amazon hike would also be amazing.

But then i realised how close we were to Galapagos Islands and it's got me planning a bit more. I know how expensive the islands are so am not sure if it could be incorporated easily into the trip.

We have around 3 weeks in September - October.

We'd want to get the most out of the trips but is this too short a time to do so? I see there are some 6-8 day Galapagos trips, Inca is 3-4 days hike, amazon 3 day hike, couple of days for the cities...

is this too optimistic?!

what can i expect to spend for this time? and on a budget what could we expect to be spending?

is an all inclusive holiday tour the best way to go for peru or is it better to book individually for each part? any recommendations for companies?

thank you in advance!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,730 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru and Galapagos in 3 weeks? on a budget?!

I think you would be shortchanging these places trying to cram them in to 3 weeks. Peru is huge and varied; not a couple of hot spots. So, getting around takes time, and is also part of the experience.

Save the Galapgos for when you visit Ecuador. You will be back when you realise how much there is to see.

Peru
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru and Galapagos in 3 weeks? on a budget?!

Hi there!

Getting around to all those attractions is possible, but it is going to be action packed... as well as a trip of a lifetime. :) The only issue is the budget because airfare and the Galapagos are not cheap, and because these destinations are so spread out, your only option is to fly if you want to pack it all in. I would estimate you are going to spend at least £3000 per person not including airfare. Let's say you have 21 days. Here is a possible itinerary:

Day 1: Fly into Lima, connect to Cusco

Day 2: Explore Cusco

Day 3, 4, 5 & 6: 4-day Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu

Day 7: Fly to Puerto Maldonado

Day 8, 9 &10: Explore the Jungle (Tambopata Reserve and jungle trek)

Day 11: Travel back to Lima

Day 12 &13: Explore Lima

Day 14: Travel to Quito. Transfer to Baltra Airport in the Galapagos

Day 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 & 20: 6 day land package of the islands

Day 21: Fly back home

The only thing I would change would be to add a day to explore Quito if at all possible, which is a beautiful city.

If you decide that the Galapagos is too expensive, you could stay in Peru and add a few other destinations, such as Nazca, Arequipa, Puno and Lake Titicaca, or Punta Sal/Mancora/Tumbes, just to name a few.

I hope this is helpful. Whatever you decide, I think you and your friend will have an excellent time!

Take care and Safe travels!

Kathleen

Latin America For Less

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru and Galapagos in 3 weeks? on a budget?!

We just did a trip to Peru and Galapagos with Totally Latin America. Paul Jones helped us with the itinerary and will do it to suit your budget. He was great, and I highly recommend his company

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru and Galapagos in 3 weeks? on a budget?!

I think it is too late to get a permit for the inca trail in step or oct 2014. Those permits are very limited and sell out months in advance.

5. Re: Peru and Galapagos in 3 weeks? on a budget?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 06:23