We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Peru

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
53 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Re: Peru

Hi,

We are looking at going to Peru in October for 10-11 days. We have talked to friends who have gone and we have narrowed down where we would like to go, but know we need to narrow it down further. We need your help! On our list: Lima, Cusco, Lake Titicaca, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu and Arequipa. Not in any particular order. We are very active, but like to remember it is our vacation. We have seen several different itineraries, but none seem to fit what we have in mind. We are trying to figure out what we can realistically see? How do we travel with the luggage? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: Peru

You can probably fit in what you have listed

1 day Lima

2 days Sacred Valley

1 day Machu Picchu

2 days Cusco

1 day transit to Puno/Lake Titicaca

1 day in Puno

2 day tour of Colca Canyon starting in Puno, finish in Arequipa (I'm assuming Colca is why you're going to Arequipa)

1 day in Arequipa

That's 11 days, not counting travel to and from Peru. The order I listed them is probably the order I'd do them in except you could put the one day in Lima at the very end, depending on flight schedules. It should be pretty easy to build your own itinerary to do this. You're talking about a pretty standard trip of the major tourist sites. Nothing that different or unusual. It is a lot of moving around so will be an active, not resting vacation to try and hit all those in 11 days.

Not sure what you mean about how you travel with luggage. You do it like any other trip. Pack light. Bring clothes that don't wrinkle that you can wear multiple times between washing. Do laundry somewhere along the line if needed. Hotels in Cusco and Puno have pretty cheap laundry service or you can wash clothes in your hotel bathroom sink.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: Peru

I think it will really depend on budget, Wes has a good itinerary above but this would require 2 one way flights which tend to be more costly than one round trip. Personally I would choose either Lake Titicaca or Arequipa so you have a more relaxed time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re: Peru

You can minimize the flight cost by instead of booking a RT to Lima and two one ways, one to Cusco and one back from Arequipa, book an open jaw itinerary in to Cusco and out of Arequipa. You still have to fly through Lima, but if you book it this way, you may not pay much more for the extra flights.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
53 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re: Peru

Thank you Wes and Lyle for your help!

First, thanks for the itinerary. It gave me a base to start from.

The flights were a concern, but I think you have presented an alternative.

As for the luggage portion, I didn't ask it correctly. I was more concerned about how we would store the luggage with the potential of visiting more than 4 locations, cabs, buses, etc. It seems like not the normal suitcase as it's too cumbersome. Thanks again!

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re: Peru

When it comes to your luggage issue, I think everyone here will have a slightly different opinion. My personal preference when traveling is to find a central location or hub to operate from, which in this case could be Cusco, if you were to drop one location. This would allow you two keep the bulk of your luggage at your accommodation in Cusco, and travel to the other places with just a small bag.

If you don’t mind moving around, you could do the above with 3 lodgings (not counting Lima), one in Cusco or the Sacred Valley, one in Puno and one in Arequipa. So there really wouldn't be too much moving around.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
53 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re: Peru

Thank you so much! Maybe that's what we will look to do. I am considering dropping Arequipa, but I've read interesting things about it (cooking classes, closeness to Colca Canyon, etc.) so I'm flip flopping! Is it common for a hotel to store your luggage and is it safe? Thanks again for ALL of your assistance!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re: Peru

Yes, it is common for hotels to store your luggage. Just don't leave anything like cash, electronics, etc. I would not for this reason travel with a laptop. A small personal device that gets wireless in your hotel is all that you need to stay in touch.

I think it is a bit rushed but possible to do what you have in mind. Bear in mind that most sites will shut down around 5=6pm. Except in Lima, Cusco and Arequipa, there isn't a lot of nighttime sightseeing.

I have done something like this

1. Arrive Lima (about midnight), take a morning flight to Arequipa. Day & night in Arequipa.

2. Transfer Arequipa to Colca Canyon, overnight. Take tour that makes a few stops along the way or the 4-M Express bus.

3. Early morning visit to see condors, leave on 1 pm 4-M Express bus to Puno. Arrive 7 pm. Night in Puno.

4. Full day to see Lake Titicaca. Night in Puno.

5. Full day to transfer by Inka Express Puno to Cusco (makes stops along the way)

6. Full day to see Cusco.

7. Full day tour of Sacred Valley, ending in Ollantaytambo. Night in Ollantaytambo or Aguas Calientes.

8. Full day for Machu Picchu.

9. Return to Cusco, possible afternoon flight to Lima.

10. Day in Lima and return home on late flight.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 23:31
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re: Peru

Yes, it's common to store luggage in your hotel. I do it all the time and have done it all over the world. Just don't leave any valuables or anything you could not replace as petty theft can happen anywhere.

Madison, Connecticut
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Re: Peru

Lyle I saw on another site that you have a bed and breakfast can you provide a link to it I plan on needing two nights on August 17th and 18th 2014 thank you

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Re: Peru

Lyle is not supposed to advertise. You can send him a PM (private message).

BTW I think his B&B is on the outskirts of Cusco, which may not be convenient for a short stay. It's probably better to stay near to the Plaza de Armas.