We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking flights & Itinerary help

Pensacola, Florida
14 posts
Save Topic
Booking flights & Itinerary help

My husband and I are spending 15 days in Peru, including travel from US. I am concerned with how to book the flights for our trip. Our Itinerary is this:

Oct3-Fly to Lima from Miami

Oct4-Fly to Cusco, acclimate to altitude

Oct5-tour cusco, sacred valley, pisac, acclimate to altitude

Oct6-Inca Trail Trek (4days)

Oct7- same

Oct8- same

Oct9- Machu Picchu, train back to Cusco

Oct10-Fly to Lima/ Fly to Iquitos

Oct 11- Pick up from Jungle Lodge (5day/4night package)

Oct 12- jungle lodge

Oct 13-same

Oct 14-same

Oct 15-back to Iquitos

Oct 16-Fly to Lima

Oct 17-Fly home

My questions are should I buy through a specific airline? How far spaced should the Lima to Iquitos flights be? Deposits have already been paid to Trek company and Jungle Lodge so there is no adjusting of the dates. I'm nervous that flight delays will mess up the itinerary. Anyone have any thoughts?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,557 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking flights & Itinerary help

If you're starting in Miami, I'd certainly start on American Airline's site since they dominate MIA airport and have lots of flights to South America. Make sure you check the option that includes flights on their One World partners. One of their partners is LAN, and LAN has flights to Peru and is one of the major airlines within Peru. I'd try searching as a multi-city destination. First leg is Miami to Cusco (it'll automatically route you through Lima), second leg is Cusco to Iquitos (again it will automatically route you through Lima), third leg, Iquitos to Lima. Fourth leg Lima to Miami.

That would be one option. Another would be a multi-city MIA-CUS outbound and LIM-MIA back then book two separate internal flights, CUS-Iquitos and Iquitos to Lima separately on LAN or Star Peru or one of the Peruvian airlines.

You're going to have to try several options to see what works best. Our have a travel agent do it for you.

Make sure you book CUS-LIM-Iquitos as ONE ticket. Don't book those flights separately or you'll need to leave a lot of time to make that connection.

Pensacola, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking flights & Itinerary help

Thank you Wes. Very helpful info. Has anyone followed a similar itinerary while in Peru?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking flights & Itinerary help

Try to fly LAN all the way: much better than AA (although you might get a better deal booking a multi-city on the AA rather than the LAN website).

Pensacola, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking flights & Itinerary help

Thank you for your help! I got everything booked today. A mix between AA and LAN, but it's all on one ticket.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,557 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking flights & Itinerary help

That's more or less what I did. I had a mix of LAN and AA on one ticket purchased on the AA website. Although i did not go to Iquitos on my trip.

I know the previous poster said LAN is better but, really, in economy, I could barely tell the difference.

6. Re: Booking flights & Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 05:17