We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating Fresh Vegetables?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
279 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Eating Fresh Vegetables?

I've been reading some trip reports and advice on this forum that say "don't eat fresh vegetables and no salads" but then refer to eating a salad somewhere or a burger with a piece of lettuce and no mentions of being ill, so I am just a little confused. For example, someone mentioned Hearts Cafe in Ollanta washes their lettuce with purified water so, can I eat a salad there? I also noticed El Albergue hotel has an extensive menu of salads and great reviews...and how about in the Lima airport? Or is everywhere just a crap-shoot? I understand not to eat salads at some random hole-in-the wall but what about the popular tourist restaurants with great reviews?

Sorry, I'm a big salad eater so going without fresh veggies for 2 weeks is a little disconcerting for me....but I would rather not get sick either.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating Fresh Vegetables?

You may want to read a current post "How careful when eating and drinking "

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating Fresh Vegetables?

I do eat salads in any restaurant, and I normally eat the 3 to 5 soles menu at cheap places. I´m never sick in Peru.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,454 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating Fresh Vegetables?

I know what you mean LK--my first extended trip to Mexico many years ago, I was dying for something green and crunchy to eat after two weeks!

I would not hesitate to eat produce in most restaurants, especially the tourist-oriented ones in large cities. In the age of the Internet, they have no desire to see reviews that say "I got sick." I do tend to be adventurous when it comes to trying restaurants, and very rarely have a problem (Que será, será is my motto) but if this is your first time out you can certainly be more cautious.

4. Re: Eating Fresh Vegetables?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 06:15