We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to spend last 3 days after MP?

Philadelphia, PA
7 posts
Save Topic
Best way to spend last 3 days after MP?

Two friends and I are leaving for Peru this coming Monday. Here is what we have planned so far:

-Arrive Cusco Tues am. Two nights in Cusco at Teatro Inka aclimating to altitude

-Depart Cusco Thurs am for 5D/4N trek to MP via Mollepeta/Salkantay/Santa Teresa trail

-Return to Cusco Mon afternoon via train

-???????? for Mon night-Fri early am

-flight home departs Cusco early Friday am

So...the "????" part - one of my friends *really* wants to go to Titicaca, but it seems that the only way that gives us enough time to there is to leave Cusco on an overnight bus Mon night after returning from MP. I'm not sure if there is overnight bus service or whether this is recommended. Besides, it would seem a shame to me to spend so much time (8 h each way) on a bus when we only have 3 days left.

I have done some reading on the Sacred Valley and it seems there is enough between Pisac, Urabamba, Ollantaytambo, Moray, etc to keep us busy and interested for the 3 days. Is this true?

What I really wish we could do with those 3 days is fly to Arequipa/Colca or Nasca, so that we can see a very different part of Peru, but given the flight schedules I have been able to find, this would not work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PS. Do I need to take rain pants (waterproof) with me for the trek?

Thanks!!!

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to spend last 3 days after MP?

I did the 4 day Inca Trail last May and the one thing I wished I had done was spend the night and go back the next morning to MP to look around again. By the time you hike from Winay Wayna to Machu Picchu via the Sun Gate you arrive around 8 or 9 am then you have a 2 hour tour, then you hike Huayna Picchu for 2 hours, then you leave on the 3 o'clock bus to catch the train. Stay in Aguas Calientes so you can spend some more quality time at Macchu Picchu, then take the bus to Ollantaytamboand and stay in the Sacred Valley for a couple of days. Lots to see and more ruins to climb around on! It was dry and hot when we did the trail so I don't know if you will need rain gear in Sept. Very cold at night though!

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to spend last 3 days after MP?

Sorry I meant take the train and get off at Ollantaytambo, there is no bus!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,253 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to spend last 3 days after MP?

Yes, you can spend an extra day in Aguas calientes and revisit MP, then go to the SV and spend a couple of days there or you can go back to Cusco and fly to Juliaca (PUno does not have an airport) and visit lake T and then fly directly back to Lima.

The bus is a long and windy ride.

Colorado
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to spend last 3 days after MP?

In case you haven’t yet decided on your last 3 days, or for others with similar questions:

-If interested in neat Peru jungle and nature opportunities, Consider 3 day 2 night tour to Posado Amazonas lodge after quick flight to Puerto Maldonado, book tour direct thru Rainforest Expeditions. Great folks, good birding and wildlife opportunities. (As nature lovers, we invested more time in 5 day tour further upriver to Tambopata Research Center which was amazing.) Sure seemed like there were many airline flights to chose from.

-Sacred Valley area has lots to offer. Ollantaytambo was neat town, cool ruins basically right in town. Hotel Sauce was nice central location. Pisac ruins and hike down to Pisac town was a nice morning; Chincheros was nice quiet and picturesque little town. Moray very interesting and Salinas (sp?) salt mines captivating.

-We did not hike Inca Trail and definitely enjoyed 2 full days in MP, including Sun Gate, and Moon Temple to Huyan Pichu hikes, though later is about 1000 meters straight up including an exposed ladder & stone steps and near the top! Early and late day times most enjoyable in main MP areas with fewer big tour groups. NOTE: Only 400 people per day allowed to hike Huyan Pichu, which also includes Temple of the Moon access. Supposedly often capacity as early as 9am on nicer days! Was cloudy early both days we were there in early September, clouds started lifting between 9 and 11 each day.

-We did spend 3 days and 2 nights in Arequipa including 2 days/1 night Colca Canyon tour. Colca was neat area to see, dramatically high in areas though very dry and often barren landscape. Andean Condors were amazing to see, but the Arequipa-Colca route is quite the tour operator parade with lots of shopping stops and quite a bit of road travel time. (We ended up skipping more expensive group tour meals and shopping stops whenever we could to explore more on our own) Observatory show in Chivay was interesting. Arequipa was neat town and nice to compare to Cuzco. (Casa Arequipa B&B neat place and staff, 3 sole (1$US) taxi to main square area, and restaurant Zingura was great in Arequipa!)

We heard mixed feedback about Lake Titicata from fellow travelers and opted for Arequipa and Colca after our 5 days Cuzco/Sacred Valley/Machu Pichu and 5 day Tambopata jungle tour, then 2 days R&R/museums in Lima, and were very happy with that mix of Peru scenery.

Happy trails!

Philadelphia, PA
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to spend last 3 days after MP?

Hi, this is thinkingmuse. Thanks to all for feedback. We just spent our first day in Cusco. My 2 friends still want to go to Lake T but for some reason \i just feel i'd rather stay in SV. I wonder if it would be safe for me to do this alone

6. Re: Best way to spend last 3 days after MP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 00:19