We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Peru

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
233 posts
342 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Peru

My friend and I will be traveling throughout Peru for three weeks. This is the first trip to Peru for both of us. We are still finalizing our itinerary, but most likely, we'll be in Cuzco and the Inca Trail around Dec. 11 through 20.

My question is: what is your recommendation with regards to where we should spend Christmas? Should we stay in Cuzco, head back to Lima, proceed to Lake Titicaca, or go somewhere else?

Which of the above places has the most traditional or Peruvian celebration of Christmas? I'd like to experience a "true" Peruvian Christmas. Neither one of us is very religious, but since we're going to be in Peru, might as well have a uniquely Peruvian Christmas. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,627 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Peru

I would think Cusco would be the best place.

Do not miss the Santirunacuy :

It runs through January 6. A festival dating back to the colonial period, it now ranks as one of the largest handicrafts fairs in Peru. It is held every year in Cuzco's main square, where the painters of religious images and artesans offer a wide range of Christmas figurines to go with the Nativity scenes found in homes and chapels across Cuzco

New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Peru

I was in Cusco Xmas 2004. The market on Christmas Eve is beautiful and everything feels really special. It's a very nice, different experience. There's a huge commotion at midnight Xmas Eve, firecrackers, loud music, etc. Fun!

3. Re: Christmas in Peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 05:23