We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restrictions on entering Peru

N Ireland
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restrictions on entering Peru

We are visiting Peru as part of a round the world trip. Peru is actually our first stop and we plan to travel overland around parts of S America for a few months, before eventually flying to New Zealand. Our travel agent has warned us however that we might not be allowed to even board the plane to Peru unless we can prove we are leaving, and the ticket with another 14 or so flights over the next year isn't enough proof! She recommended booking an organised tour to eventually take us into Bolivia as our proof, but we would prefer to travel independently.

Does anyone know if this is true and how strict the authorities are?

Thanks.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restrictions on entering Peru

I ran into a lot of people that were travelling through South America and didn't even know when or where they would eventually leave from. They were in Peru so they got in somehow without a return flight. It sounds to me like your travel agent wants to sell you a tour package, but maybe you can check with the airline you are using to make sure. I don't remember anyone asking me if I had a return ticket when I was in Peru.

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restrictions on entering Peru

I was thinking the same thing as foxisle - regarding the travel agent's secret hopes.

We noticed nothing special at check-in or upon arrival in Peru.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Restrictions on entering Peru

Hi, thanks for the replies - I don't think the travel agent was trying to make a sale, she just advised that her computer flagged this up when it was clear our air ticket didn't include a flight out of Peru.

She has travelled S America herself, but she came in and out of Peru overland, and according to her the difficulty seems to be at the airline check in. I might see if it is possible to pre-book and get tickets for a train or bus out of peru, just in case, but thanks for the reassurances anyway.

Lima
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restrictions on entering Peru

There's no such restrictions on entering Perú.

I'm sure you won't have any problem with the autorities.

Enjoy your vacations....

L.

5. Re: Restrictions on entering Peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 10:21