We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Lima to Arequipa? Safe?

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Lima to Arequipa? Safe?

Hi all,

we are planning to travel from Lima to Arequipa on the 16th of November. Due to all the warnings (robbery and crashes), I got a bit scared of travelling by overnightbus, however Cruz del Sur and Oltursa busses only leave at 16:00 and will therefore always be overnight. Is there any other option?

Second, I read there will be strikes on the 4th of November, is there anything planned for mid November? We're planning to travel from Lima - Arequipa - Puno - Cusco (arrival has to be on the 22nd of November).

Jules

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,571 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Lima to Arequipa? Safe?

Normally most buses travel at night time.

You are choosing to travel with the best bus companies, they are probably the safest but have also had accidents, no robberies though.

No strikes planned for mid Nov.You should be fine.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
143 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Lima to Arequipa? Safe?

We wrestled with this issue for our trip this past July. We ended up flying from Lima to Arequipa and then taking the Cuz del Sur bus from Arequipa to Puno.

For the $100.00 flight, I am glad we flew. The bus from Arequipa to Puno was a good choice.

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Lima to Arequipa? Safe?

Who did you fly with? I just checked Lan Peru and a single trip from Lima to Arequipa is $150 :-(

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
143 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Lima to Arequipa? Safe?

Ouch, that is painful! We actually paid $112.00 including tax and fees on Lan. We did purchase our tickets 3 months in advance so maybe we hit a special?

I know this isn't about Peru, but last summer I was in Tibet and saw a bus that plunged off the road into a steep ravine (at night) which resulted in fatalities. This just reaffirmed my commitment not to take overnight bus transport, ESPECIALLY in mountainous areas.

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Lima to Arequipa? Safe?

We are considering the flight options, we already booked our flights from Cusco back to Lima, and attempting to do that via Lan Peru was a complete nightmare, we ended up with Apunake but that didn't happen without many phone calls and credit cards being rejected.

How are they with last minute tickets? We arrive Sunday morning 16th of November 5am in Lima. Is there a Lan counter, where we can purchase a ticket to Arequipa for that day? If so, will the price be very high? The 11am one is about $150 now. Did anybody have experience with that?

many thanks!

Jules

Switzerland
Level Contributor
216 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Lima to Arequipa? Safe?

On the way from Lima to Arequipa you have the Paracas National Park, the Huacachina Oasis and Nazca. This are very nice things to see and it may makes sense to do an overnight stop in one of these attractions. These attractions are about 3-4 hours south of Lima. If you fly, you will miss these attractions! It's worth thinking about this!

I am always doing this, when I have the time, and it is really worth stopping there!

Sasolburg,South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Lima to Arequipa? Safe?

I believe Sky also flies to Arequipa,worth comparing the two airline .

Heinrich

8. Re: Bus from Lima to Arequipa? Safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 22:18