We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any small towns between Arequipa and Puno, to break the trip

Which Arequipa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ocean City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Any small towns between Arequipa and Puno, to break the trip

Traveling by bus from Arequipa to Puno mid-August. Previously, stopped one night in Chivay but wonder if there is a small pretty town on the direct journey from Arequipa to Puno. Would like to explore and adjust to altitude. Any suggestions? We loved Chivay. Got the best hot chocolate in the world there.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any small towns between Arequipa and Puno, to break the trip

Why not try another town in Colca Canyon, Yanque maybe? Otherwise it is pretty bleak on the direct road. Anyways the main road is only 6 hours if you go direct.

Edited: 22 June 2012, 03:20
Ocean City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any small towns between Arequipa and Puno, to break the trip

Thank you very much. We will probably take the bus directly to Puno. Very helpful!

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any small towns between Arequipa and Puno, to break the trip

We went to a bigger small town named Moquegua. It is out of the way, but we enjoyed it so much that we stayed an extra day and skipped another destination. There is a great little museum, a nice sized market, an outstanding mirador with a beautiful bridge that screams for photos to be taken. The people were friendly but not at all aggressive like tourist towns.

We enjoyed it so much that when my husband and I move to Perú, this is one of the towns that is in our top 3. The other two places have his family there, that is the only reason this town has competition for our retirement money.

I did a search here for "Moquegua" and here is the link, if you are interested. Have a great trip.

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

Harrow
Level Contributor
130 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any small towns between Arequipa and Puno, to break the trip

There is very little between Arequipa and Puno except Moquegua and sand and more sand and then Juliaca but I don't think you'd want to stay there !!

We didn't stay in Moquegua but the bus stopped there for a while and it looked very interesting.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any small towns between Arequipa and Puno, to break the trip

Sand? I saw lots of puna grassland and lakes, but no sand.

Must be a different route. (both times took 4M bus/van, once via Chivay, and the return was direct).

There is a new fully paved road between Arequipa and Juliaca.

Harrow
Level Contributor
130 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any small towns between Arequipa and Puno, to break the trip

Pity I can't add pictures or I'd send you one of sand (or something very much like it) at Moquegua. I think the road was paved when we were there in 2010 but, as I wrote in my diary "a journey through some of the most amazing scenery you might see anywhere. Mile after mile of mountains and deserts and a road which in places looked as if it had been tied in knots to get around all the hills, cliffs, mountains, etc. and in other places it just went dead straight for mile after mile, as far as the eye could see." but that was on the journey from Arequipa to Tacna although I could swear that on the previous year we went through Moquegua enroute from Arequipa to Puno.

Whichever is right there was sand, sand and more sand and I have photos to prove it as I was trying to spot the old railway.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any small towns between Arequipa and Puno, to break the trip

Moquegua isn't on the new main route from Arequipa to Puno that is used by 4M Express.

The route from Arequipa to Juliaca and Puno was recently improved and reduced the travel time significantly (from 12 hours to about 6).

Now you go thru Pampa Cañahuas and Lagunillas to Juliaca and then on to Puno.

Probably you did it before they finished the new route?

Here is some info

http://www.4m-express.com/rutaap.htm

8. Re: Any small towns between Arequipa and Puno, to break the trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 18:16