We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Misti or Colca Canyon

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
El Misti or Colca Canyon

After opening another thread about planning our trip, we are flying into Lima and going straight to Arequipa for a couple of days. We were then looking at going to Colca Canyon, back to Arequipa and then the bus to Puno for Lake Titicaca, then eventually on to Cusco for a couple of nights and do the Inca Trail. This route seemed to be more popular than flying into Cusco and doing it the other way round.

My question is that if you had a choice would you go to Colca Canyon or climb El Misti. We've been to the Grand Canyon and Kings Canyon and I just wondered if we are really missing something by not going to Colca Canyon and choosing El Misti instead. We don't have enough time to do both as we only have 17 nights in total and trying to plan something around the Inca Trail, Cusco and Lake Titicaca.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Misti or Colca Canyon

I think the walk down the colca canyon is definately worthwhile. Stay overnight at 'oasis' before returning up.

Climbing el misti requires a guide i think, and climbing gear, not cheap. it's up to you, but i think just looking at it is nice enough. Just because stuff is there, it doesn't all 'need to be done'.

Edited: 22 December 2012, 12:54
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
986 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Misti or Colca Canyon

It's not clear if you're asking about a Colca tour versus a trek into the canyon.

I just took Giardino's 2-day Colca tour from Arequipa and recommend it highly, though none of the tours do much hiking and you may need more time to acclimate to the altitude. They offer an extension to Puno, taking the bus from Chivay, so you don't need to return to Arequipa first.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Misti or Colca Canyon

It is a Colca Canyon trek (not tour) verus climbing El Misti. I've seen treks with Guardino's and Carlitos (Carlitos stay at Oasis I think). Climbing El Misti is not expensive as equipment is provided.

Ideally I'd like to do both but we can't fit it into our time (17 days for Inca Trail, Cusco, Lake Titicaca, Arequipa)

:-(